Cat Grass and Poo 'problems'

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, has anyone had issues like this:  cat loves grass, after litter box, he has a 'hanger' -either poo threaded on the grass stalk, or the stalk still sticking out his bum.  Cat remedy of cause is to 'scooch' his butt along the ground (floor!) to rub the offending thing off.  And seriously, he swallows some pretty long stalks which make it through to the other end (like10cm).

Naturally, we grab the cat to minimise the poo trail on the floor and try to clean him up (cut off the stalk rather than pulling it out - ouch!).  But, we arent always there at the time and it isn't something any of us enjoy!

Any remedies out there for this?  Feed wise, he's 90% raw fed 10% can, and I tend to keep the bone down a little as he tends toward stiff poos.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry - my kitties don't go outside, and I don't provide them cat grass. :dk:

I have long hair, and sometimes have a hanger because they ingested on of my hairs. Hasn't happened for a long time, as now I make sure there are no hairs on the floor of the bathroom after I brush my hair. Avoidance of the situation was the only solution I figured... :dk:

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat enjoys eating cat grass but he never had that kind of problem. I feed my cat raw and canned too. When I clean his litter box, I notice that sometimes the grass connects the poo pieces together since he swallows the grass stalks without chewing.:lol3:

Maybe your cats raw diet is too low on bone, so his poo is on the soft side and maybe that's why he is having these "poo problems". :dk:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I can't help you.  Ritz loves cat grass (I grow it or buy some at Petco), but her problem is that it comes out the front (vomit) not back (hanger oner).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, lol, Kato barfs it up too!!  But he loves it and gets such a crazed satisfied look in the eyes as he chomps it.  Thankfully most of our floors are wooden and I have developed super hearing such that I wake up and throw myself out of bed if I hear the 'coughing' in our room...enough to scoot him out onto the wooden floor.  I believe the grass gives them some sort of goodness, despite it often coming up.  This, plus the trait that Korats 'crave grass' mean I won't restrict him from eating it as I think he needs it.  But if anyone has ideas for the 'hangers', I'm all ears!...