Cat got surgery and a shot of Convenia and now I regret everything

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a surgery suit, doesn't really work due to where the stitches were, they're about 1 inch on either side of his butt, the regular suits that allow for going to the litter don't cover the area well. A full coverage suit would in theory work, but I'm not sure how to deal with him wanting to go to the litter
Sounds difficult, my kitties would never wear the collars and just removed it themselves. But they didn’t chew their sutures etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds difficult, my kitties would never wear the collars and just removed it themselves. But they didn’t chew their sutures etc.
He is one of the most difficult cats. Very, very stubborn and wants to do what he wants, when he wants, and he will do all the things that are bad for him and fight us to do it.

We switched up his diet a little bit yesterday because we're running out of the one food he's doing well on, and this morning he vomited several times. So we're very unsure if it's the new food, the old food that's now not working, or something else.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is one of the most difficult cats. Very, very stubborn and wants to do what he wants, when he wants, and he will do all the things that are bad for him and fight us to do it.

We switched up his diet a little bit yesterday because we're running out of the one food he's doing well on, and this morning he vomited several times. So we're very unsure if it's the new food, the old food that's now not working, or something else.
Quinn is like that but he is very good at dvm etc. he has never worn a surgery funnel though. Maybe it’s the new food? I would get more of the food he is ok with and introduce anything else slowly.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quinn is like that but he is very good at dvm etc. he has never worn a surgery funnel though. Maybe it’s the new food? I would get more of the food he is ok with and introduce anything else slowly.
Same, IBDCat is great at the DVM, they always say he's a super compliant, nice patient. Hence why they're a bit condescending when we say we can't pill him or do any kind of care procedure on him really at home. He basically plays dead at the vet. At home, he has no respect for authority. He's a really big and strong OSH, so it's always a hazard to try and manhandle him.

The food he usually eats is backordered, and we were running out of the one bag we have, that's why we tried the alternative protein source, but this is the second time he pukes it up. The last time we chalked it off to the raw food having been left out too long and the house was warmer than usual, but this time it was fresh so I guess it's a no go. We'll try rabbit since they're out of his usual beef and salmon and hope he likes it and doesn't get sick on it.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same, IBDCat is great at the DVM, they always say he's a super compliant, nice patient. Hence why they're a bit condescending when we say we can't pill him or do any kind of care procedure on him really at home. He basically plays dead at the vet. At home, he has no respect for authority. He's a really big and strong OSH, so it's always a hazard to try and manhandle him.

The food he usually eats is backordered, and we were running out of the one bag we have, that's why we tried the alternative protein source, but this is the second time he pukes it up. The last time we chalked it off to the raw food having been left out too long and the house was warmer than usual, but this time it was fresh so I guess it's a no go. We'll try rabbit since they're out of his usual beef and salmon and hope he likes it and doesn't get sick on it.
Aww, Quinn is a traditional meezer so semi related, I love osh 😀 I heard they can be stubborn too. It’s almost funny to see him behave like a little angel at the DVM, although he can be very angelic at home too when he wants to be. Tg he does though. He’s a sweetie.

I hope the rabbit works out.

I didn’t know osh could be that large and strong, Quinn looks small, but he is very strong too and has a lot of muscle. But any cat who does not want to do something will put all the force of their spirit and body to not do it.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, Quinn is a traditional meezer so semi related, I love osh 😀 I heard they can be stubborn too. It’s almost funny to see him behave like a little angel at the DVM, although he can be very angelic at home too when he wants to be. Tg he does though. He’s a sweetie.

I hope the rabbit works out.

I didn’t know osh could be that large and strong, Quinn looks small, but he is very strong too and has a lot of muscle. But any cat who does not want to do something will put all the force of their spirit and body to not do it.
I love meezers! I used to have a traditional one back in the days, he was such a sociable cat. Usually the OSH are smaller cats, yes. IBDCat is, at his healthy weight, around 13,5 lbs, and he's very muscular with strong very long legs. When sitting up he's a full head taller than our other OSH. He's a bit of an anomaly, but he's also the sweetest cat 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love meezers! I used to have a traditional one back in the days, he was such a sociable cat. Usually the OSH are smaller cats, yes. IBDCat is, at his healthy weight, around 13,5 lbs, and he's very muscular with strong very long legs. When sitting up he's a full head taller than our other OSH. He's a bit of an anomaly, but he's also the sweetest cat 99% of the time.
He sounds great 😀 Quinn is 14 lbs according to the last visit but he is not big and does not feel like it to me, I think it’s a mistake. He is very muscular though, but smallish. When he was a kitten he was so tiny. He looks just like the seal-points brought over in the 1900’s but smaller. My Wizard who was part osh was smaller, all black and more svelte etc. he had 0 fat. I heard osh are very sweet etc.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Giving an update on IBD cat. He's started throwing up a lot right after breakfast again. Of course, being a cat, he chose the most inconvenient spot to be sick from, the top of the cat tree. The last time he did that was while he was being fed chicken and/or tuna, so we're afraid maybe he's now allergic to his current food (salmon and beef).

Since his current food is frozen raw, and we have to drive quite a distance to get it, maybe this one was warmed too much on the drive back (didn't fit in the icebox). So potential DDX: now allergic to one of the ingredients, that batch got too warm during transit and is spoiled, that batch from the supplier is bad, he caught a bug from the raw food (salmonella? E.coli? Other?), he caught a bug from elsewhere, his thyroid is really causing issues...

Trying to book a follow up appointment in internal medicine. I thought we were finally out of the woods, but I guess not.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving an update on IBD cat. He's started throwing up a lot right after breakfast again. Of course, being a cat, he chose the most inconvenient spot to be sick from, the top of the cat tree. The last time he did that was while he was being fed chicken and/or tuna, so we're afraid maybe he's now allergic to his current food (salmon and beef).

Since his current food is frozen raw, and we have to drive quite a distance to get it, maybe this one was warmed too much on the drive back (didn't fit in the icebox). So potential DDX: now allergic to one of the ingredients, that batch got too warm during transit and is spoiled, that batch from the supplier is bad, he caught a bug from the raw food (salmonella? E.coli? Other?), he caught a bug from elsewhere, his thyroid is really causing issues...

Trying to book a follow up appointment in internal medicine. I thought we were finally out of the woods, but I guess not.
Sorry he is vomiting 🤗 I hope you get this figured out and he improves. Is he on Pepcid and an anti-nausea med .

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meowmee Meowmee no, he's not on any meds except miralax and lactulose right now. The vets never recommended anything other than those. The internal medicine vet agreed last time it's likely allergies, and since we had the vomiting under control for months he just told us to keep doing whatever we were doing.