Cat got surgery and a shot of Convenia and now I regret everything

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, what was said above.

Additionally, almost all antibiotics have the side effects of diahreah and lethargy. Since your cat has IBD, oral antibiotics might have really messed with his GI tract.

Plus surgical recovery causes lethargy.

Plus anesthesia can cause the cat to have diahreah for a few days. Nobel did for 3 or 4 days post surgery and that cat had a stomach of steel.

I think perhaps the surgical vet was not a good fit your your anxiety as an owner, more than anything.

Just a gentle reminder as well that online forums and reviews regarding medicine is ALWAYS going to be heavily skewed towards those whose cats have sode effects, especially severe ones. Those whose cats dont have side effects simply move on with their lives. They arent out here posting on forums about the medicine.

Nobel had convenia many many times. No reactions to it. He and Lily got an eye infection. We were given routine eye drops. Lily was fine with them. Nobel had a reaction. Just like how different humans react differently and therefore need different medicines, it's the same as cats.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, as much as I don’t want to mention this, I guess I have to.

Raw diets have a risk of bacterial contamination. Some cats can fight off, some, not so much. Salmonella and Listeria are two that are often seen in raw diets.

Primal has had several recalls done on their frozen raw food. You can go to the FDA recall page to view them. Although the last one was in 2023, I think, it doesn’t mean that the current batch your cat is eating is okay. There is no way of knowing without testing it.

There is always a risk of a pet food diet having recalls. But, with raw food, that risk is even higher.

Anytime there is a cat eating a raw diet with diarrhea, it really needs to be investigated with a fecal PCR.

I am not against raw food. I just don’t trust the companies that provide it and think the home recipes are to complex for most people to get right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, as much as I don’t want to mention this, I guess I have to.

Raw diets have a risk of bacterial contamination. Some cats can fight off, some, not so much. Salmonella and Listeria are two that are often seen in raw diets.

Primal has had several recalls done on their frozen raw food. You can go to the FDA recall page to view them. Although the last one was in 2023, I think, it doesn’t mean that the current batch your cat is eating is okay. There is no way of knowing without testing it.

There is always a risk of a pet food diet having recalls. But, with raw food, that risk is even higher.

Anytime there is a cat eating a raw diet with diarrhea, it really needs to be investigated with a fecal PCR.

I am not against raw food. I just don’t trust the companies that provide it and think the home recipes are to complex for most people to get right.
Oh, I completely agree the risk is present no matter what precautions the manufacturer takes. Procedures not followed, cross contamination, etc.

I do trust this company though, they have a good track record in spite of the recalls they had, and the measures put into place as corrective actions seem adequate. Their recalls were mostly due to out of spec vitamins, one for potential salmonella, the other observation they received for contaminated lots were actually not sold because of their quarantine/release protocols. I trust them a lot more than most dry food companies.

I can't exclude this is a bad batch, but considering he's eaten from this bag before the surgery, and the diarrhea started after the surgery and when he got medicated, it's likely it's a side effect from his current medicine regimen and/or the procedure.

ETA: I mentioned the issue again to the surgeon, but the reply was again just to lower the laxative dose, there was no suggestion of any testing or other measures. His medical team is well aware of his raw food diet, but they don't seem concerned at all. Which, quite frankly, is not great.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prolly would not change the diet while he is recovering, or at least do it slowly. Then again you want him eating with all the possible things going on, so let him eat what he wants.

For my possible ibd cats in the more recent past I pretty much cured them with a home cooked diet of chicken, chicken liver and alnutrin supplements. Zena though had giardia when he came inside & was good on the diet for quite a while, but still sometimes had soft stool. Dvm then did not recommend steroid etc. because he was so young.
Merlin who had c difficile when he came in had resolved diarrhea on the diet. He was on steroids for a few weeks and then weaned off with the hc diet.

Unfortunately I fractured my spine last winter and could not make the food, and also took in two more cats from outside who were on dry so we switched to part dry and part canned.
I found when they are grain free they’re better overall.

Now after what happened with Merlin dying from toxo, I will not give commercial raw or any raw diet, it’s too risky imo, I had occasionally given them some freeze dried raw. I think I was trying Fred out on that because he might’ve had some diarrhea when he came in. But none of them really liked it, and they would only eat it if they were really hungry and there was nothing else to eat.

I’m pretty sure Merlin had it suppressed as Bradyzoites in tissue from a previous infection or from hunting mice in th garage.

Last edited:

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now after what happened with Merlin dying from toxo, I will not give commercial raw or any raw diet, it’s too risky imo, I had occasionally given them some freeze dried raw. I think I was trying Fred out on that because he might’ve had some diarrhea when he came in. But none of them really liked it, and they would only eat it if they were really hungry and there was nothing else to eat.

I’m pretty sure Merlin had it suppressed as Bradyzoites in tissue from a previous infection or from hunting mice in th garage.
Is there a history of toxoplasmosis from raw food, is that the concern?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a history of toxoplasmosis from raw food, is that the concern?
Yes, most people get it from improperly washed raw veggies & improperly cooked or raw meat etc. Cats can get it that way too. T gondii has several phases, in bradyzoite phase it goes dormant and remains in tissues etc. it can be ingested that way in raw meat and small prey.

T gondii is not susceptible to bleach and other sterilizing wipes, it can only be killed in all phases by heat above 160 degrees I believe. I used boiling water and soap to clean the litter boxes after I found out about it from the necropsy. I threw away an older plastic one because they are harder to clean. I usually clean all boxes etc. anyway after a cat passes but not usually with boiling water.

From this link: Toxoplasma - Food Safety for Moms to Be.

How can I prevent toxoplasmosis?"
It's easy - you and your family should:

CLEAN
  • Wash your hands with soap and warm water after touching soil, sand, raw meat, cat litter, or unwashed vegetables.
  • Wash all cutting boards and knives thoroughly with soap and hot water after each use.
  • Thoroughly wash and/or peel all fruits and vegetables before eating them.
SEPARATE
  • Separate raw meat from other foods in your grocery shopping cart, refrigerator, and while preparing and handling foods at home.
COOK
  • Cook meat thoroughly. The internal temperature of the meat should reach 160° F (71° C). Use a food thermometer to check.
  • Don't sample meat until it's cooked.
Don't Drink the Water!
Avoid drinking untreated water, particularly when traveling in less-developed countries

Last edited:

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information Meowmee Meowmee , that's very useful to know, I didn't think commercial meat would have that risk specifically, mostly I'm on the lookout for salmonella, E.coli and listeria, but didn't think of toxoplasmosis really. I always thought it was more of a risk when cats were chasing mice or being outdoor cats.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, update on IBDCat.... he hasn't gone to poop since Tuesday. Went from full blown diarrhea to some kind of constipation, and now I'm worried about megacolon, etc. Guess we shouldn't have cut the laxatives that drastically. The vet basically said "as long as he doesn't strain when he does go, it's fine" but I'm not so sure it's that fine. I don't want him stretching his hernia again right after surgery or, as I said, getting megacolon.

He's back on laxatives but I'm thinking if he doesn't go tonight he's going to the ER tomorrow for manual deblocking.... Also he's having a a pretty bad rhinotracheitis recurrence so he's sneezing all over the place (and us) all the time. Sleep is difficult for everyone with this, and his half-brother is still hissing at him sporadically.

We're supposed to get the stitches taken out on Monday, it'll be 12 days, hopefully we can keep him from reopening his wounds until then, cause he's trying his best to break his probation conditions by running/jumping/etc. He's also gotten worse about sneakily trying to lick his wounds and trying to pull stitches so we've taken away the "no soft collar" privilege. He uses it as a kind of travel pillow so really he shouldn't complain that much.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Stitches are very itchy by now and they are bothering him, so help him make it to Monday with the soft collar. Constipation can rebound like this, especially if the laxatives were cut back too severely. This may not be megacolon, so don't go there if you don't have to.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information Meowmee Meowmee , that's very useful to know, I didn't think commercial meat would have that risk specifically, mostly I'm on the lookout for salmonella, E.coli and listeria, but didn't think of toxoplasmosis really. I always thought it was more of a risk when cats were chasing mice or being outdoor cats.
Yw 😀 those are of course dangerous too however, now toxoplasmosis is paramount in my mind because of what happened to Merlin. I could be wrong, but I’ve never heard of any cats dying from those other things. Whereas although deaths are more rare from toxo infections, they can and do happen. One of my former dvm said that she didn’t think cats were as susceptible to salmonella infections something to do with stomach acid maybe. Whereas for t gondii, infection from meat and small prey are probably the main modes of transmission to cats, as well as sharing litter boxes with infected cats and drinking unprocessed water etc.

I’m going to get myself tested soon too just in case.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m going to get myself tested soon too just in case.
I'd be curious to see if you test positive, I researched a bit more and it seems Northern areas have high infection rates in humans mostly due to consuming venison.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, tomorrow IBD cat gets his stitches removed, hopefully. He somehow managed to tear off a bit of scab from the healing wounds, I just hope the vet won't request we leave the stitches on longer due to that.

We brought him to the vet yesterday and waited 5 hours at the ER because he tried to go poop, and ran out of the litter like he was in pain, and we were worried he had gotten blocked again since he hadn't gone to poop in 4 days.

Turns out he was just being facetious and he worked just fine when we brought him back home. The upside is the vet confirmed his hernia seems fixed from the rectal exam she did.

While we were gone at the ER vet, the other cat got into a bag of Cheetos we had forgotten to put away and proceeded to take them out of the bag and eat a bunch of them. Now this morning he gagged and almost puked. The fun never stops with these two.

Hopefully we can remove his soft collar when the stitches are removed and we can finally let him do his usual crazy cat routine because keeping him relatively at rest in a bedroom and preventing him from licking is driving everyone insane, and he cannot tolerate the cone at all.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be curious to see if you test positive, I researched a bit more and it seems Northern areas have high infection rates in humans mostly due to consuming venison.
Yes- when I get my kitties taken care of and they are A ok, I will go to my doc and ask to be tested. I’m going to request the IGg Igm, test so if I don’t have an active infection, there’s not going to be any way to know when I was infected.

I’ve never eaten venison. The reason I’m getting tested is because I was taking care of Merlin when he had a severe disseminated infection and there’s much higher risk to get it because they will shed more protozoans etc. Also, I have something going on with one of my eyes too, it’s prolly not related though.

In over 30 years of indoor / outdoor cats, none of my cats have ever had a symptomatic toxoplasmosis infection. So it has been quite a shock obviously. In addition early this morning I woke up after sleeping on the couch for a while to find a mouse that had been partially eaten in the garage.

I’m just hoping they can’t be re- infected. I’m pretty sure once they’re infected that is it. But I’m going to check with Dvm just to make sure.

What happens is as I mentioned is once it gets to the Bradyzoite phase those are resistant to treatment, and then they go into muscle and other tissue and become dormant. Clindamycin and other drugs can only suppress them, symptoms subside due to reducing them I think, and they then form cysts in tissues.

If you have a positive test for prior infection, then you could probably assume that you do have them dormant in you as well- as a person.

That happened to me once with a tick born disease. I had a positive for a past infection of erlichia chaffeensis after a recent tick bite. EC however is different, it’s a bacteria( ricksettia ), and is usually treated with doxycycline. I have read it has no chronic effects, however some sites say it can be chronic in dogs. I will have to review it again.

I remember being quite ill twice as an adult where I went to a doctor / clinic and they didn’t know what was going on. Once I had a very high fever at home but my idiot Dr then basically didn’t do anything. I’m talking 104 or so. I had muscle aches etc too.

Another time I had terrible intestinal cramping, muscle spasm, and fever, and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Maybe that was it, I don’t know. You can just have a mild infection, overcome, and not even know it too.

Last edited:

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update: IBD cat is freeeeeeeeeeee. Stitches were removed this morning, he has the all-clear to cat as much as he wants (which means being a complete pest). We're all thrilled!

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of my cats have had Convenia, no long term effects. If you are giving gabby , that will make kitty loopy too. You mentioned he won’t forgive you for the gabby? Assuming that’s because the liquid was a hot mess getting down? If so, It taste foul, ask your vet for pill form. It’s compound but most have them in house as they use for short term sedation.
if kitty continues not to eat , ask for an appetite stimulant. You rub in the ear and it works quickly.
good luck

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update: IBD cat is freeeeeeeeeeee. Stitches were removed this morning, he has the all-clear to cat as much as he wants (which means being a complete pest). We're all thrilled!
Yay! That is wonderful 😀🤗

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I guess I cried victory too soon, he immediately proceeded to pull out his scabs and his wounds are bleeding again and I need to go back to watching him like a hawk while he wears the flower collar of shame.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I guess I cried victory too soon, he immediately proceeded to pull out his scabs and his wounds are bleeding again and I need to go back to watching him like a hawk while he wears the flower collar of shame.
Have you tried the cat baby onesie things?

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the cat baby onesie things?
I bought a surgery suit, doesn't really work due to where the stitches were, they're about 1 inch on either side of his butt, the regular suits that allow for going to the litter don't cover the area well. A full coverage suit would in theory work, but I'm not sure how to deal with him wanting to go to the litter