Cat got spayed yesterday- how does the incision look? Refuses to keep cone on.

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 month old girl got spayed yesterday. She is eating and acting normal- if not a little more affectionate. She took her pain med today and has 2 more days of those. I have her contained to my bathroom for now so she can’t run or jump and upset the incision.

My only worry is she has not been able to keep the cone on. The vet put it on her before we left the clinic and it was off by the time we got home. I tried putting it on her again this morning but it was off when I got home from work.

This has made me a little paranoid. I’m really afraid she’ll open the wound or infect it. I’ve been with her 75% of the time since her spay and I haven’t seen her directly lick it. I thought about getting a recovery suit but I can’t find any in my area. I’ll attach a pic of her incision. It looks pretty much like it did yesterday but a little more red. (They used glue). Thoughts about how it looks and any cone advice is welcome!

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks ok. There are other types of cones that may be better than the one you have.

I've used both a onsie and a soft Ecollar, both from Chewy. The onsie I used for the first day or two then switched over to the soft ecollar. Used it again when my younger one had foot surgery. Worked fairly well, she couldn't reach belly or foot in it to lick or chew. I liked the soft one because the shape of it allowed it to be pulled backward making it easier for her to eat.

I did allow time with it off but only if I was with her or if she seemed to be having trouble eating with it on.

SUNGROW Post-Surgery Soft Cone Dog & Cat Recovery Collar, Pink, Medium - Chewy.com

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it oozing? I would contact the vet because it does look a little red.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks ok to me, I cant see any swelling and I think the redness is because its a recent cut but watch for seeping as mentioned above, swelling and redness. If she is licking it you need to put some sort of cone on her, even a paper plate with a hole cut out for her head can work.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had countless cats spayed, many feral and released the next day, and none have had cones. They licked it a little but healed up fine!