Cat got scared out of her mind!

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was like you see in those "home videos", or on YouTube somewhere -cat freak out! But it definitely isn't funny, it's scary and worrisome! One of the cats got a hold of a plastic Target bag that I had lying around (I literally turned my back for a minute), and she got stuck around the handle - so she starts tearing around the house at TOP SPEED, bumping into things and going about 100 mph as the bag was tangled around her. The bag finally came off after a minute or two, but she was totally freaked out! She hid downstairs behind the TV and wouldn't come out for a long time. This morning, she's very skittish, guarded, scared, and even the other cats are treating her differently (my sweet "get along" cat just hissed at her)

She doesn't seem to be hurt (we've seen her walk and I've petted her and she doesn't wince or whine or anything, no limping, etc), so I think she's just traumatized from the incident - my question is: how long can I expect her very guarded behavior to last? Is there anything I can do to help her through this?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My Emerson did the same thing when we first moved into our house. He was fine after a day or so of lots of pats, treats, etc. He is still petrified of plastic bags and runs whenever we bring home groceries/change the trashcan bags/etc...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl. I had a similar situation with Willow when I first adopted her that I still feel guilty about. I didn’t realize it but I had dropped a piece of packing tape on the floor, where she apparently sat on it and it stuck to her tail. It is near impossible to catch a hysterical cat so twenty hours of hysteria, running, hiding, screaming, hissing plus peeing and pooping ensued before she calmed down enough to realize she wasn’t being chased by a crinkly monster and let me remove it.

But bags, because they have the potential to choke or suffocate are particularly dangerous. I either throw or put away bags immediately or if I am giving her one to play with, one of her fav toys, I cut the handles off first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor girl. I had a similar situation with Willow when I first adopted her that I still feel guilty about. I didn’t realize it but I had dropped a piece of packing tape on the floor, where she apparently sat on it and it stuck to her tail. It is near impossible to catch a hysterical cat so twenty hours of hysteria, running, hiding, screaming, hissing plus peeing and pooping ensued before she calmed down enough to realize she wasn’t being chased by a crinkly monster and let me remove it.

But bags, because they have the potential to choke or suffocate are particularly dangerous. I either throw or put away bags immediately or if I am giving her one to play with, one of her fav toys, I cut the handles off first.
Yeah, we usually have them stored away in a cabinet. Since we also have 3 guinea pigs, I use those bags for the daily cleaning of their cage - and I had gotten a bag out since I was about to clean the cage, but stepped away for 1 minute....and the rest is history. She seems to be doing a bit better now, and with a bit of gently coaxing, has come downstairs and cautiously walked around. I feel better now that she's not injured and that it'll just take a little time to get her confidence back.

Sorry that happened to Willow - that must've been rough.