Cat got pus one month after spay. Help!!

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old cat got spayed a month ago. During her recovery period she licked her wound and one of the stitches came off, there was no pus but the surgical site looked really bad but then she eventually recovered in a week. The wound healed and the skin was pink the vet said she has healed now and there's nothing to worry. Now exactly after one month that site is infected and there's pus coming out of it. Before that i saw her biting that site and I've also seen my her and my other cat play fighting almost everyday. Could it be possible that my other cat accidentally scratched her while playing and this has caused the infection? Because as far as i remember her surgical site was fully healed. How could it be possible?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats work in mysterious ways is all I can offer. She should have been healed by now, but you probably should take her in to the vet. Pus means infection.
Ditto. There is no way to know WHY this is happening, but if there is pus now, she needs to get to the Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she is getting treated by the vet. However, i am only afraid she might get it again if she play fights with the other cat. Do you think?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well she is getting treated by the vet. However, i am only afraid she might get it again if she play fights with the other cat. Do you think?
You might ask the Vet about this. I wouldn't think play fighting would cause this, not if it was completely healed up, but it could be this is a new wound and unrelated to her spay, although it seems awfully coincidental if that's the case. Are they fighting NOT for play,but possibly really fighting? You would be able to tell if hissing and growling ensue and fur starts flying. In real cat fights, the cats can get seriously wounded. Mine have, on occasion, gone after each other, and once there was quite a bit of blood :eek2: If the fur hasn't grown back yet on your girl, she could have gotten a puncture wound from a bite or a deep scratch since no fur means not much protection in a fight.