Cat Got Hit by a Car.

kerry151

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am new to the forum and hope I am posting in the appropriate category. I am totally confused right now and hope someone can offer some help.

My cat got Hit by a car last week. I saw it happen, but fortunately he appeared to just get clipped a little on his rear end. He did not appear in too much distress, so I made him as comfortable as possible and he slept through the night. The next day he was limping and off his food, so I brought him to the vet. He felt him all over, said that nothing was broken. He administered a shot of tramadol and I brought him home. As soon as I got him home, he began eating a drank a whole bowl of water. He was still limping a little, but seemed okay. A couple of days went by and he started to hide in the closet and began sneezing non stop. His breathing also seemed a little labored. I let him outside to use the bathroom, and he would not come back into the house. Today I located him, but he was in pretty bad shape. He was having a hard time breathing and his eyes and nose were full of discharge. I carried him inside, but he passed away this evening. I cannot figure out if his death was due to the injury or something else as he appeared fine except for the limping on his back leg. He did suffer with alergies. Could this have been a reaction to the tramadol? I apologise for the long-winded post, but any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Kerry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry!! I can't speak to what happened because I don't know, but did you have a chance to talk with the vet?

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this happened.
I'm wondering if when he got hit and rolled, if something wasn't bruised or even crushed in or around his chest cavity that the naked eye (hand) couldn't see or feel that caused something to go wrong. We've had this happen before, something was missed on an exam that only something like an ultra sound or X rays could have picked up on, and in some cases involving that area, very little help is available no matter what.
I'm very sorry for your loss, it sounds like you took very good care of him :alright:

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forums Kerry im sorry it had to be under these circumstances, also very sorry for your loss I just lost one of mine a few days ago.

You said he went outside for awhile so im wondering did he have all of his shots before this i mean before the accident? What color was the eye discharge if you remember?

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've had this happen before, something was missed on an exam that only something like an ultra sound or X rays could have picked up on, and in some cases involving that area, very little help is available no matter what.
:yeah: Ditto, I thought the same exact thing.

I wonder why the vet didn't take an x-ray or do any further testing knowing that your cat was limping. It's really difficult to say but I'm inclined to think the tramadol was not a side effect of his sneezing, labored breathing or eye and nose discharge. Perhaps the stress from being hit by the car brought on a URI.

My sincere and deepest regrets on the loss of your boy. He is at the Bridge now running pain free. :angel:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Losing a kitty is bad enough, but to see it happen is even worse. I'm inclined to agree with 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 that some happened to his chest - a broken rib or something of that nature. His breathing and discharge would indicate that. Vet should have x-rayed him.