Cat gone wild!

shannontalan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! Any advice?
Today, like most days, all of my animals were getting along. 2 dogs and 2 cats. They love each other normally, even eat treats together.

My daughter saw our cat at the back door crying and me and my dogs were outside. My kiddo went to grab “her” cat for some outside grass time, picked him up and the dogs were near. Leo, the cat, sprung off my kiddo scratching her and started attacking the dog: hissing, screaming and swatting at him. Being a dog ( and having a huge german Sheppard brother dog around) he ran, and then started to chase the cat, who went sprinting around the yard screaming, hissing and eventually, running back to the door. While he was hissing, I picked him up by his gruff, while he was screaming and got him in a room by himself. Both of my teen daughters near tears as this cat is their baby!

my girls attempted to calm the cat, and he was a bit better; until my other cat onyx, followed the dog and began hissing and screaming at the dog (outside of the room leo was in. )Again, never have I seen this behavior.

I grabbed the other animals away from the room leo was in, but it was enough to freak leo out and he started howling and screaming, almost attacking my daughter. Now the awful part…, while leo is screaming at her, she knocks a shelf on her way out and a lava lamp crashes on the tile floor throwing loud noise and glass everywhere! Seriously, I couldn’t make this up!

2 hours later, I still have glass broken in the room and a cat that is screaming at all
Of us: we can’t get near him. Again, normally the most perfect cat ever.

So…just in case the dog got a smell on him, both dogs have been bathed and the other cat ( onyx) seems fine right now:

what do I do to calm my cat down.? A cat that is beyond loving And trusting and never had an issue before. Vet? More time alone? Help..::

my perfect pet balance was perfect!!

advice is sooo appreciated!!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry, though, for the situation that has brought you here. It all sounds very stressful and upsetting.

How are things going now? Were you able to clean up the broken glass?

It's hard to know exactly what happened, but I'm thinking some sort of Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles. Usually things settle down after a bit, by leaving the cat alone for a while. But sometimes re-introductions between the cat and other cats (pets) can be needed.

Hopefully things get back to normal soon. Good luck.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to leave him alone. Cats usually can not be calmed down and trying to console or even touch an upset cat is dangerous.

Cats do a thing called displaced aggression. Where, when upset they will attack what or whoever is close to them. They don’t know what they are doing at the time because they are in fight or flight mode.

I think the first thing to understand is that cats don’t think like us. They rely heavily on instinct and learned responses. Cats people call mad or aggressive are frightened and defensive.
You said the dogs chased him. In my opinion that is extremely terrifying for a cat and could be deadly. After that experience he would be so stressed out that anyone would seem like a threat.