Cat Goes Crazy Over Bleach

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a Wonder Box inside my litter box, and it's small, so once in awhile, he ends up peeing on the floor. I have a spray bottle of diluted bleach 1 cup bleach to 2 cups water, and I spray the pee and then mop it up with a sponge mop I keep in the shower.

Lately, he has been going crazy over the smell of the bleach. He watches me do this from the door, I mop over it with fresh water several times, and then when I leave, he runs in and rolls in the wet spot on the floor like it is catnip.

So I started drying it up with a towel, and he still rolls on the spot and sniffs at it like it's catnip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I have had so many cats and this one is doing new things every day to confuse me. After reading your links I took a cloth, sprayed three sprays of diluted bleach water, and then wiped out the laundry basket, and made sure it was dry. He loved it, played in it for an hour. Catnip doesn't affect him this strongly. He doesn't lick at it, so that is good, but I am still going to have be on my guard with him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat, Feeby, knows from clear across the house if I am using a bleach type cleaner in my master bathroom. She will run into the master bedroom and lay just outside the bathroom door for hours, if I let her. She will roll around - unlike anything, even catnip. When I leave the area, I do close the bathroom door, as I don't want her any closer. But, she will still sit there sniffing up the fumes long after I have left. I worry about the fumes, so I eventually chase her out of the area.