Cat goes crazy for carbs?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My new adoptee, Cookie (6yrs old), seems to have crazy desire for food even though I am feeding her 3 meals a day (wet food with tiny bit of dry cus she was fed dry at shelter, trying to transition her). Even when she has had her meals. I'm not sure what to do to help curb it. She has clean bill of health from vet check up.

Today I ate a chocolate granola bar, and then went to hang out with her. She kept trying to grab my mouth and literally shove her face into my mouth?? I left to brush my teeth, after which she calmed down.

Later tonight I had tea and shortbread cookies. She didn't initially notice the cookies, but when she did it was all I could do to keep her from munching on them! She showed no interest in my tea. I've seen her check out some other foods before but no interest (fruits, leftover cup ramen soup).

The vet said she is underweight, currently around 6lbs. I don't want to overfeed her as she went thru some vomiting on and off just days ago, so she probably needs time to slowly get used to eating more and gaining weight. I don't leave food out, but I worry in the future if I can't eat stuff around her without being harassed.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the world of cats who are absessed with food.
My cats are always asking for food even if they have already eaten their meals, and I feed them 8 times a day with both dry and wet food, but it seems they are never satisfied (you will find two threads about them).
The younger of the two (5 months old) is a real predator, and we have to protect our food and dishes on the table or she just grabs everything she sees, even food whe shouldn't eat at all.

I asked the vet what I can do, and she said "nothing"... not reassuring at all.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a carb lover, mostly breads, donuts, and packaged treats like Twinkies. Over the years there have been others that loved carbs and would steal a piece of bread off the counter if it was left out. If she pesters too much while you are eating just set her in a room until you are done. Not the greatest for them so best to not give them any except as an occasional treat. If your girl is a bit underweight you can give her extra calories in the form of kibble and cat treats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know Cookie's history? I'm guessing she was a stray for a while, and had to find food on her own, and now has "stray cat food obsession".

My Ruby girl was like that when I first adopted her. It wasn't just carbs, but any food at all. She would clean her dish of every speck of food every time I fed her. And she still was constantly on the prowl for food. One time she discovered, and devoured, a cupcake paper I'd removed from a muffin, and left on the counter. And she was always in my face, when I tried to eat, and as I'm vegetarian, there was never any meat that might have been tempting her

This lasted several months, but eventually Ruby did learn that she would never be hungry again, and she began to leave food in her dish for later. So hopefully, in time, after Cookie gains some weight, and realizes she's always going to be fed again, she'll stop being so obsessed with carbs. Meanwhile, if she's really driving you nuts when you're trying to eat, or prepare a meal, it's ok to put her in another room for a bit.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know Cookie's history? I'm guessing she was a stray for a while, and had to find food on her own, and now has "stray cat food obsession".
This was what my former vet said of my beloved Pallina, she had been a feral cat for whole of her life (8 to 9 months) and might have been starving or competing for food, that's why she was so obsessed with food. She grew out of this in a couple of years.

she was always in my face, when I tried to eat, and as I'm vegetarian, there was never any meat that might have been tempting her
My kitten Freya is crazy for my green salad :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies!

I'm not sure about her entire history but the shelter said she had a previous home with other cats who bullied her. I am not sure how long she has been at the shelter (when she was surrendered) so I'm not sure if her underweight issue is from the bullying or from being surrendered and not used to shelter.

Today when I room swap and had her explore the home, she eventually made her way to the kitchen and found interest in a container in the sink that was used to hold some fish cakes (empty) and started picking it. She didn't seem super desperate or hunt it out immediately, same with my cookies, so I assume she only notices the enticing smell when she's close.

She hasn't tried to eat my other cat's leftover food yet so that's good. I'm not sure if she eats fast but she cleans her plate very neatly most of the time. Since she's 6, I'm not sure if she can grow out of it when she realize she will no longer be bullied or go hungry.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Strange that she isn't trying to eat your other cat's leftover food. If she were truly "food obsessed" I'd think she'd eat anything he left behind. Though maybe if she was bullied before, she's nervous to eat from another cat's dish. :dunno:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Strange that she isn't trying to eat your other cat's leftover food. If she were truly "food obsessed" I'd think she'd eat anything he left behind. Though maybe if she was bullied before, she's nervous to eat from another cat's dish. :dunno:
I agree and found it strange, but it could also be I don't give her a chance to. She's not obsessed with food to the point where she will hone in on it from across the room, only if she smells something she really likes such as fish or chicken, otherwise she only zeros in when shes within a foot or 2 to it.

I'm still doing cat introduction with meal times at pet gate. When she's having meals she doesn't try to jump the gate but she definitely knows my cat is eating there as she sees him. Sometimes when I have to give my resident cat a treat or snack (he is transitioning from free feeding), and she is hungry, I hear her meowing at her door. Only time will tell in the future if she will be a food thief once she can be used to him and be free to roam.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't edit my post yet, so a small update:

She doesn't steal his food! Maybe it's cus she is still wary of him, when we had free roam time, she saw his leftovers (my boy still working on getting off free feeding), sniffed closely but never even took a lick. I hope this will continue in the future! She was hanging around me while I ate some noodles, but wasn't really begging at all.

However I found another thing I can't have around her... ice cream! This just further confirms my suspicions that she is somehow really into dairy in carbs? She was SO into the ice cream that I could not eat it sitting down, and once she got close enough to take a swipe, which got a little on her claws. She happily lapped it up! At least she can help me with my diet, I guess? :crackup:Of course I know most cats can't tolerate dairy so I do not plan to give her anything that's not in her proper diet!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She sounds adorable. Is that her in your avatar pic? Or is that your other cat?

BTW, about editing posts, you should be able to edit them now, but only for 2 hours after you post.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She sounds adorable. Is that her in your avatar pic? Or is that your other cat?

BTW, about editing posts, you should be able to edit them now, but only for 2 hours after you post.
She's very adorable! She's really different from my resident cat (the one in my avatar) which makes it fun and interesting getting to know her. Although her wild spirit seem to already rub off on my boy, and I found him on the kitchen counters twice after he witnessed her go from floor to counter to fridge top!

Here is her chilling on a pillow in our lap.
20210302_211239.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that liked popcorn! You could see if your cat wants unsalted unbuttered popcorn. I figure it shoud be harmless if its just plain popcorn without the salt and butter, although don't allow unlimited grazing for choking hazard reasons. Not to mention its not a nutritionally complete food, probably emptier calories than treats, so just a couple now and then. But might last your cat longer, be more entertaining and have fewer calories than most other carbs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that liked popcorn! You could see if your cat wants unsalted unbuttered popcorn. I figure it shoud be harmless if its just plain popcorn without the salt and butter, although don't allow unlimited grazing for choking hazard reasons. Not to mention its not a nutritionally complete food, probably emptier calories than treats, so just a couple now and then. But might last your cat longer, be more entertaining and have fewer calories than most other carbs.
Yes, Willow likes popcorn too. I sit there and break the pieces apart so she only gets the soft part and no hull. Wouldn’t want those stuck In her teeth!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my Cats will try to eat anything, and I mean literally ANYTHING. She's very aggressive about it too, she will walk right up and shove her face in a bowl or plate and steal what's there if I don't keep a very close eye on my food. Not even salad is safe, she will try to steal that too. The upside is anything can be used as a treat with her.

Another of my Cats is similarly aggressive toward stealing food, but is more picky and mostly goes after meat.