Cat giving birth to sick kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely! Please introduce kitten chow and wet food meals (pate, not shreds or chunks) several times a day. Dry food and water available 24/7. Did you stop feeding Hartz?

Also, the kitten needs to be out of the box now. She needs to explore a room and play with toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
alright then i will provide something but i wasn't expecting solid food until week 4/5.. Its my work duty this week so i have to take it to work in the box. The kitten is with its mother at night and free to roam in a room trouble is mother is not very good at mothering

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
trouble is mother is not very good at mothering
:(
Is she maybe already mentally weaning the kitten? Where is the kitten, and was it able to drink/eat during the day otherwise?

Can you find something different than cardboard - I'm concerned it will ingest the bits it's chewing off.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get dry Babycat, the one that says mother and baby that would be a great start for her and they really love it.
You can put a small crinkle ball and a feather toy or tiny mouse toy in the box with her too.
But during home time she really does need out of the box to explore, that what makes them smart!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A pet carrier would be better. The kitten definitely needs to eat during the day. Gerber turkey or chicken baby food, or lap kitten formula from a dish. It needs a toy to play with and a towel to lie on. What is the kitten’s name?

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tomorrow Saturday 11th with be the last day the kitten will be in the box of solitude as iI'm working from home for the next four weeks.
What would be useful if someone could tell me How much should a 5 week old kitten weigh? The online charts vary by large amounts, My current feeding regime puts on about 20 to 25 grams per day and the current weight at 4 weeks 2 days is 486 Grams

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten’s weight is excellent! The ideal weight at 4 weeks is at least 460 grams (16 ounces), so it’s doing great.

Please cover the bottom of the box with a towel so it can’t chew cardboard, and put a couple of toys in.

Have you named the kitten yet? Is it cutting baby teeth?

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten has no teeth, its not as mobile as some here have suggested it should be, for example it will stay near mum cat rather than explore. I call the kitten Winston but i'm not sure its a male cat now, the issue of sex was never discussed at the vets just how frail it was

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent weight and great job getting that many grams gain each day!
NO teeth whatsoever? There should be small sharp like pins teeth, baby teeth start coming in at around 3 weeks.
If you post a close up pic of the nether regions we will tell you male or female lol

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw where you said not as mobile as expected.
One way to age a kitten is their hind legs. From babyhood they scoot around, soon they get themselves up off the floor but hind is the last to get up. So when they are up and walking, the earliest is having hind legs in sort of a crouch position. By 4 weeks their hind legs are fully extended so they walk normal, just a bit uncoordinated to run, which changes fast!

Or, with the weight being right on time, maybe theres some delay in development if theres literally no teeth.

When you get rid of the box, kitten still needs an area thats small, litterbox needs to be right under their nose as they have a short attention span and a short period from feeling they have to potty, to doing it.
The smaller space is due to kitten getting overwhelmed too. Half of a smaller room is plenty, as long as theres room to romp and play.
Use heavy dishes for water and food.

Last edited:

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked again for teeth and perhaps there are some small teeth definitely nothing very impressive. The grams started piling on at around day 10 before that it was very sickly and the vet thought it might fade and die

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten is coming on 5 weeks now and weight is good but it still walks slowly and has nervous feet movement .