Cat giving birth to sick kittens

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few weeks ago I took on a stray cat, yesterday evening she gave birth to a dead kitten followed by two live ones when I checked in on them this morning another had died and the mother doesn't seem to care for the remaining kitten as she should .

I did intend to take on two stray cats but I believe the other cat has given birth somewhere if I take the cat her kittens will starve. I just don't know what to do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try feeding the remaining kitten with a needleless syringe or eye dropper using honey or sugar water - drop by drop. Smear it on the gums for quick energy. Then feed evaporated milk or kitten formula, but not cow’s milk. Feed every hour about 1-2 mLs for now. Feed mama well.

You can try to get the other mama cats and kittens. If not, at least feed her well for now. You have a kind heart!

Here is a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The situation with the remaining kitten is dire, it was breathing funny so i took it to the vet and the practice nurse has taken it home for intensive care I've heard nothing bad yet but a decision will be made Monday. After not caring the mother cat seems to miss the kitten now.

The other cats kittens appear to be living in a neighbouring businesses compressor housing If there is anybody there next week I will ask them to unlock the enclosure.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. You did a great thing taking the mom in and I know she will be comforted by having you there. If you can get the other Mom and kittens, that would be great. Often, if you put the kittens on a little blanket at the back of a trap, mom will go in to get them. You may be able to get them all that way if she is a feral or scared of humans.

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is back with its mother at only 85 gram after a week its still very touch and go, at least its breathing has improved.
I have rescued the mother cat and all six of her kittens from the compressor housing. She is not feral she used to wander around our industrial estate begging for food, unfortunately most of the businesses have closed now due to virus lock down

I have also become aware that due to the virus all the adoption centres have closed which would leave me, if all the kittens survive to adulthood lumbered with a crazy 11 cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The adoption centers will not be closed forever, let's pray this virus quarantine will end soon. You could personally find them homes through ads, radio and on Facebook too. I'll pray for that little one, I would bet they were born premature, which very few kittens survive, there is a chance!

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mother cat from the compressor housing went from being very rounded to thin 15 days ago
The small kitten is being nursed my its mother however mother tends to lose interest after a while best way i found of regaining her interest is by picking the kitten up so it squeaks and she regains her interest, Tried putting her in a room on her own and she dug up the carpet behind the door so i couldn't get in :yelling:

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the kitten has gone from black to gray is this another problem like lacking in something?

linda104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens fur was black now its grey with a few black marks. Started going grey after I began the hartz milk supplement. I have to feed it this stuff because it was only achieving 5 grams per day weight gain