Cat getting aggressive after loss of other cat

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to have 3 cats but one had to be put to sleep recently for his declining health. That cats buddy who was always with him I’ll call G is now getting aggressive to my third cat I’ll call A ever since. They try to play but G is playing rough with A knocking him over biting his stomach and A screams. They still try to play after but G was never this rough, only after the death of his buddy. His buddy was the leader of the cats, the boss; perhaps G feels it’s his place to now be the new leader?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I would separate these two cats when you're not there to stop this behavior, and it does need to be stopped. Also try calming diffusers, cat music, purr toys and heartbeat toys, anything to calm your boy G.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I would separate these two cats when you're not there to stop this behavior, and it does need to be stopped. Also try calming diffusers, cat music, purr toys and heartbeat toys, anything to calm your boy G.
I cannot seperate these two, our house is too small to do that. A is almost always the instigator in these “attacks” which seem more like a cat that never learnt to play properly as A had many problems with other cats attacking him when he used to be in a shelter. G was a former feral, the two cats don’t understand each other’s behavior and that’s the biggest issue. If A goes after g and I see he is nervous I would spray A with water, or physically remove him. I tried playing with him to exhaust him and give him attention but he is always trying to go after G he seems very hyper/nervous with any cat, and aggressive towards other animals he went after raccoons and small dogs! Im at a loss what to do with these behavioral issues. G is normally lazy and laid back but when he sees A he instantly tenses up, his instinct is any stalking or rough play equals and attack and he goes feral on A. Somehow the two need to understand each other better

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to find a way, even if it's putting one of them in a bathroom for a little while, like a couple hours, to give your cats a break from each other. This much constant stress can cause health issues.

Until things quiet down, try these things;
Also try calming diffusers, cat music, purr toys and heartbeat toys, anything to calm your boy G.
There's Spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as good sources.