Cat gets extremely nervous in kennel

Ninabob5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I rescued a cat that is about 2 years old. My intention of course is to spay him, but everytime I put him on the kennel and on my car he gets extremely nervous and starts panting, which makes me anxious and I end up turning around. When he’s back home he calms down and back to his usual self. I’ve canceled 2 appointments in the past as I’m unable to go to vet with him. I have another appointment for next week.
Anyone had a situation similar like this? Any tips? I asked if I could give him Gabapentin but since he will go under for surgery the vet said no.
Thanks in advance!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats (in one case a whole litter of kittens) panting in the car - on the way to the vet or to their new home (so many fosters so I can't say exactly which ones). But I never turned back and they all survived. Sometimes, for their own good, you just have to be cruel to be kind. Try to make the car journey as short as possible but don't give up!
Good luck.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the weather is cool enough you can cover the carrier with a large towel so the cat can't see out. Many find this soothing, or at least less threatening than being able to look out. Remember, what they are seeing out the window is moving too fast for them to focus on. You can also put a well-worn unlaundered piece of your clothes in the carrier, which will help sooth him.

Many of mine preferred screaming at top volume when in the car. Some said nothing and drooled so they were soaking wet when we got to the vet. One clawed his way through the carrier so he could sit and look out the window. Do not let them ride lose, it's very dangerous for them and you. Unlike the one I mentioned I've known others who got under the brake pedal and another who wrapped his arms around the driver's eyes. Carriers are good.

Leave the carrier out all the time. Do not force kitty into it, let him go in if he wants. Even if he decides he loves his carrier as soon as you start trying to put him in it he'll fight. this is the cat way. Still, I think it helps if they are used to the carrier not being a threat.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If the weather is cool enough you can cover the carrier with a large towel so the cat can't see out.
:yeah:
I had a cat years ago who would pant and then vomit every time she had to ride in the car. I started covering her carrier with a towel, leaving just a bit at the bottom uncovered so she could see me but not see the passing scenery. Nine times out of 10 it worked, and she seemed much happier. It was also easier on her in the vet’s waiting room when she couldn’t see the other animals.