Cat Gets Annoyed At Kitten

ardnascela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,
This is my first post, so please bear with me as I try to explain what we're going through..
We have two indoor cats, a neutered 2 year old British Shorthair (Krodha, adopted at 6 months) and a 4 months old Siamese kitten (Zed, adopted 1 month ago).
History:
Krodha: We got Krodha from a family who was raising his mother, father and 2 other siblings and after separation he had some issues adapting. He was very cuddly and playful, but also anxious at times - he would play or purr or be interested in something, then all of a sudden he would start licking and biting the top of his front paws. We were very worried, as we thought we were doing something wrong, but after taking him to the vet, she reached the conclusion that he is just an anxious cat that focuses too much on himself and over grooms and she recommended giving him Clomicalm, which works perfectly - he is still cuddly and loving, but the excessive licking and biting stopped and his fur grew back.
In the past 6 months, both my schedule and my fiancés changed, me getting leaving at 7:30 and returning at 16:45, and him leaving a bit later than me and getting home around the same time - even later, so we decided to get a second cat to keep Krodha company; we also had a long chat with our vet who already knew the issues we had with him and she thought it could be a good idea, a second cat allowing Krodha to have company and focus on something else other than himself - she recommended we stopped giving him the pill a few days after we brought the kitten, if all went well.
Zed: We found Zed at a family who adopted him way too soon in my opinion, as he was 3 months old when we got him and he lived with them for about a month - he is still sucking on a fluffy blanket whenever he wants to go to bed; also, they had a young dog that he lived with, so he sometimes plays and breathes like one. As adorable as he is, he has crazy amounts of energy when he is awake, not understanding limits yet, which is not a problem for us, we are very patient with them, but it's a problem for Krodha.
The introduction went really well, there was a little bit of hissing, but nothing more. We kept them separate for about two days, constantly allowing them to sniff each other by switching the toys and the blankets; we took it step by step, to the point that when they first saw each other, they were pouncing and hiding in a box, taking turns hiding and attacking - it was such a relief! We were the happiest people in the world!
Problem: Now, almost a month later, things are still going well, but when they play, Zed is the one chasing Krodha most of the time, with the occasional times when Krodha pounces on him. They seem to enjoy each other's company, having no problems waiting for us next to our door when we sleep, or even eating next to each other. The issues is that often, when they played for a while, Krodha starts meowing at him as if telling him to stop, and if he chases him way too much, he hisses when the little one catches up with him. But then, if Zed goes away and starts playing with a toy or makes an interesting sound, Krodha comes back to see what he's doing. It's like he wants him to be around, but he doesn't.
Also, if they both chill on the window sill for example (or anywhere else in the house), Krodha will start mewoing at the presence of Zed next to him, but often he goes after him if Zed finds something interesting to do in a different part of the room/apartment.
I need to mention that Krodha is quite a mellow cat, he has his crazy moments, but not so much. On the other hand, Zed is very outgoing having no issues adapting in the new home! Maybe that's the problem as well? He overtook his territory? We were quite careful with separating their space from the beginning, we still do from time to time, to give Krodha his own private time. We stopped giving Krodha the pill after about a week, as he was doing great, but then he started meowing and getting agitated, so we had to put him back on it.
We just want for Krodha to be a little bit more quiet as he is driving us crazy! Sometimes he will start meowing when Zed is just playing with toys or coming to stay in the same area as him; other times, he would go to him and try to lick his face.. we don't know how handle him. It's not an aggressive meow, more like a soft 'be nice to me' or 'please leave me alone' type of meow - does it make sense?
Do you have any suggestions on how I can convince Krodha that Zed is just trying to play? I don't think he understands that he is just a kitten and still has lots to learn. Also, maybe it will be better once Zed grows up a little bit more? What do you think?
Thank you so much for our help and I am really sorry about the long post!
Here is a photo of them to thank you for your help: about a week after we got the little one, this was the first time they cuddled on the bed together - aren't they adorable?
File_000(5).jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are notorious for being very active, intelligent and vocal. So whether playing with Krodha or telling you about his day or giving you his opinion on everything, he is going to make noise. His play with his brother sounds absolutely normal to me. They play, someone gets annoyed and there is hissing, even sometimes real swats and growling. I wouldn't interfere, Zed is just learning his play boundaries with his new brother.