Cat Genetics

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a little confused, and I thought maybe some one here could help me out (as there seems to be a lot of lovely people that are willing to share their knowledge). I hope that I can explain this in a way that makes sense, and I don't look stupid.

Is chocolate considered to be a dilute of seal given that chocolate is just a lighter version of black, and seal points are considered to genetically black cat? Or is chocolate considered it's own primary color?

Everything I have read says that blue is the dilute of seal and lilac is the dilute of chocolate. Shouldn't it be chocolate is the dilute of seal, blue is the dilute of chocolate and lilac is the dilute of blue ("dilution" is the gene that gives a living creature a lighter coat pattern, correct?)

If two dilutes (blue and lilac) cannot create seal or chocolate; why can two blues create lilac but two lilacs cannot create a blue? Is it because lilac is the lightest of all 4 colors and blue is not?

Sorry I hope that all makes sense. I have tried to do my own research but I must admit that I am having a hard time understanding!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I believe chocolate is its own primary color, with lilac being its dilute, and blue is the dilute of seal. Both seal and chocolate are part of the eumelanin series. This page has a nice chart showing the colors, and their dilutes: COLOUR AND PATTERN CHARTS

Some other posters might have more info about this than I do. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So if they are two different primary colors how can a dilute of one primary color make a dilute of another primary color? (Ex. Blue creating lilac)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the chart!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So if they are two different primary colors how can a dilute of one primary color make a dilute of another primary color? (Ex. Blue creating lilac)
Because chocolate/lilac are recessive genes, so 2 blacks/blues can carry the gene for chocolate/lilac, but not the other way around. That's how recessive genes work.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kitten color probabilities from a Solid White male Ragdoll and a Blue Bi-Color female Ragdoll?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At least half will be all white. Possibly all, it depends on if the male is hetero or homozygot on white.
Also, bicolors do occasionally produce all white kittens them too, even if the spot gene theoretically shall not be able to, but practically it happens now and then. Not common but not totally unique either.

The non all white kittens? It depends on what other color and pattern genes the male carriers. Colors come mainly from momma, so his colors probably dont matter much. But pattern will matter. For example if he carries tabby it will become visible...

So the non white kittens will tend to have mommas color, blue or black, and also be bicolors as momma. The white spot gene is almost as strong as the all white gene. Read, they will tend to be tuxedos - points. :)
What kitten color probabilities from a Solid White male Ragdoll and a Blue Bi-Color female Ragdoll?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stefanz!

Ok, the father of my Solid White male Ragdoll is a Blue Pt and the mother is also a Solid White. One of her parents is a blue Lynx Pt.

My female (blue bicolor) father is also a Blue bicolor and the mother is a Seal Mink mitted.

What are the probabilities of me having a Blue Point Mitted or just a Blue Pt, not bicolor? So 50% could be all white?

I appreciate your response!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
About half should be white, the other half will be all or almost all bicolor or mitted
.someone of these shoul be lynx after paternal grandma(?)

The exact results its not ironclad.

Statistics sure on 1000 litters, but may vary on an individual litter.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So no probability of having a Blue Color Point Mitted kitten? 25%?

Last edited: