Cat Genetics - Red Ticked Tabby Girl

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that Red girls are uncommon (maybe 5% because they need both X Chromosomes to have the red gene) - but what about the ticked part - homozygous for the agouti pattern? 

I know the agouti pattern is characteristic of the Abyssinian and Somalia breeds, but will show up every now and then in a, I guess, domestic breed.

Anyway, that's my girl... whether rare or not, I think she is something special... so cute, but wondering if the genetics for this combination in a female isn't seen much? Doesn't matter... she has a spunky personality, but also cuddles! Love her.

Last edited by a moderator:

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My understanding is that Red girls are uncommon (maybe 5% because they need both X Chromosomes to have the red gene) - but what about the ticked part - homozygous for the agouti pattern? 

I know the agouti pattern is characteristic of the Abyssinian and Somalia breeds, but will show up every now and then in a, I guess, domestic breed.

Anyway, that's my girl... whether rare or not, I think she is something special... so cute, but wondering if the genetics for this combination in a female isn't seen much? Doesn't matter... she has a spunky personality, but also cuddles! Love her.

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/2251/m816.jpg

Ah rats, I've tried EVERY link given and none allow the picture to show up, only a link. Sorry.

Another link:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/7tic.jpg/
I'm only approaching now the fascinating subject of cat genetics, but it's my understanding that female red cats are about 25% of red cats, so not prevalent but not exactly rare. The ticked pattern that your girl has, however, it's not at all common in random bred cats! The only one I saw was on a temple kitten in Myanmar. 

She's wonderful, I absolutely love ticked tabbies and she has an amazing shade of red.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm only approaching now the fascinating subject of cat genetics, but it's my understanding that female red cats are about 25% of red cats, so not prevalent but not exactly rare. The ticked pattern that your girl has, however, it's not at all common in random bred cats! The only one I saw was on a temple kitten in Myanmar. 

She's wonderful, I absolutely love ticked tabbies and she has an amazing shade of red.
 you are right ,  red female cats are about 25% .    Not super rare, and neither are black female cats.  The same genetic issue applies to both,   but there are fewer red cats than black cats ,  so I guess it is more likely that someone may not have met red girls, and think they are rare.

The agouti tabby / ticked tabby pattern is found in cats all over the world...  Africa as one might guess,  and the pattern might have come from the Jungle Cat , but it's also common in  South Asia  & Southeast Asia .    I think it's less common in Western cats , but there have been some English cats with a ticked tabby coat for quite a long time;  they used to be called bunny cats. 

NBrazil,  this cat of yours is really striking with the  combination of  ticked coat and that beautiful bright red !