Cat gave birth but still looks pregnant

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
A stray who gives birth on our doorstep often just gave birth again. I don't know how many since she has them hidden behind some old appliances, but I think 2, maybe 3.

Normally when she gives birth, her belly becomes... floppy? deflated? loose? But this time she gave birth to only two about 3 days ago but, while she's not terribly bloated, she's still less thin than usual and her belly's definitely not deflated.

Is that normal, or should I figure out a way to take her to a vet? While she's used to me and lets me pet her and get near her kids, she can still be very aggressive sometimes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may still have a kitten or two that may come later, or her uterus may just be lumpy from giving birth. I would wait, but look for signs that she is in pain or distress.

Do you feed her regularly? What happens to her litters of kittens? Do you find homes for them?

Poor kitty - if she’s had lots of litters, the biggest favor you could do for her is to get her spayed in a few weeks so she does not have to keep going through this.

Keep us posted as to how she is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, sorry for the late reply. I haven't used this site in ages and kinda forgot that I posted here :<
She may still have a kitten or two that may come later, or her uterus may just be lumpy from giving birth. I would wait, but look for signs that she is in pain or distress.

Do you feed her regularly? What happens to her litters of kittens? Do you find homes for them?

Poor kitty - if she’s had lots of litters, the biggest favor you could do for her is to get her spayed in a few weeks so she does not have to keep going through this.

Keep us posted as to how she is doing!
I actually posted about one of her litters a year or so ago.
She doesn't seem to be in pain at all, and when normally she wouldn't let me touch her belly at all, she's very chill with it now.
Although I can't afford cat food, we do feed her at least twice a day, and I think she eats well because she usually leaves a little bit of food, though I don't feed her ideal food. Mainly tuna or mackerel mixed with bread for breakfast, and later on usually just a plate of chicken scraps and bits of meat or something similar.

I've been wanting to get her spayed but I can't afford it and my family wouldn't pay, but she gives birth way too often. By the time the litter's old enough to leave, she's already in the early stages of pregnancy, which means she usually gives birth 3-4 times a year. As for her litters:
  • Two remained from the first litter and they eventually left.
  • Two remained from the second litter and I gave them to someone to put them up for adoption.
  • The third litter was born in the street. Six babies. Five died, either while very young or got hit by cars when they grew up a bit more, and one's still around. He's the most loving and mellow cat I've ever seen.
  • I have no knowledge of the fourth and fifth litters, or maybe just the fourth? I didn't see her very much for a bit.
  • The next litter I didn't count, as they were hidden behind some old appliances on the stairway (which is where these ones are) but all of those died within a few days of birth; probably due to fleas. Only one survived, and because her mother left early, I had to practically raise her myself. I gave her away and I was absolutely heartbroken because I was told we could keep her.
  • The next litter I didn't meet.
And then there's this one. I try to deliver them home when I can. I don't know how many she actually birthed this time because she moved them inside after the fact, but I think they're probably just three. That seems to be her most consistent number, 3-4. The last one I took care of also had a big flea problem. We bathed her and she still looked like sesame bread. Tried powder and it didn't work. Ended up giving her some medicine that usually just kills off all fleas and even that didn't fully work, though it cleaned her up really nicely.
The person I gave her to runs a pet shop, so he had the resources to finish off the remaining fleas. It was actually a nightmare. You'd step out of the door and feel all the tiny buggers jumping on your legs, and it got to the point where I was beginning to see any slightly dark spot as a flea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is your city and state? I will look around to see if there are any rescues or clinics in your area that could spay her for you. I hate that she has to live this way. :(

Darkiplier Darkiplier

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
All right, I'll definitely look into! Thank you!

I've seen other animal shelters and stuff but they don't really have any funding, and otherwise never hear about animal shelters and whatnot.