Cat fur mowing

Sudi Kundrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son has a 5 year young orange spayed cat that has been licking her fur off the abdomen & inner legs, probably since last summer. On Sept 30 she had a Dexamethasone injection without success. I have read all the likely reasons for this but believe there is a definite reason. None of the commenters, who have tried the various regular ideas said fur started growing again. Any thoughts?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a look at this article for common skin conditions:

Allergies to food or something in the environment are the most common reasons. What is the cat eating? Dry or canned food? Brands? Is the litter very dusty?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Food allergies are the most common cause for this, along with stress. Were there any major (or even minor...for cats minor can BE major) changes in the household about the time that this started? Or the community...new construction, influx of dogs or cats allowed to roam who might be coming in the yard, anything at all like that?

lattiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another thought is that maybe when your son cat got spayed there is some ovarian tissue still left in there or maybe they were in a hurry and thought they removed all the stuff but it could be possible that there is still a ovary left in there . As I have heard that lately there have been still parts of reproductive organs or tissues left from a spay or neuter which produces hormones. So does your son know if all of the stuff was fully removed as they may need to do a ultrasound to locate to see if their is any tissue in the area where they did the spay .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sudi Kundrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Food allergies are the most common cause for this, along with stress. Were there any major (or even minor...for cats minor can BE major) changes in the household about the time that this started? Or the community...new construction, influx of dogs or cats allowed to roam who might be coming in the yard, anything at all like that?
Community no. She has appeared to weather many changes in her 5 years of life, although we were not aware of the loss of hair. From all the comments I have read it seems to be a trial to try & find the cause. Thanks for responding.

Sudi Kundrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another thought is that maybe when your son cat got spayed there is some ovarian tissue still left in there or maybe they were in a hurry and thought they removed all the stuff but it could be possible that there is still a ovary left in there . As I have heard that lately there have been still parts of reproductive organs or tissues left from a spay or neuter which produces hormones. So does your son know if all of the stuff was fully removed as they may need to do a ultrasound to locate to see if their is any tissue in the area where they did the spay .
As far as we know, the surgery was done properly & years before.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing you can try is giving her chamomile tea. IF the cause is stress-related, it might do the trick. Buy a box of prepared chamomile tea bags (PLAIN, unblended chamomile) at the grocery store. Brew a cup, and chill in the fridge. Administer via syringe or medicine dropper, which ever is best for you. The dosage is 1-3 teaspoonfuls (for cat over 11 pounds, 1-3 Tablespoonfuls) up to three times a day, It is gently calming without being sedating. You can also use the tea as a wash for the area, as it is soothing for all manner of skin "ouchies." I keep a cup in the fridge during the summer for bug bites, etc, and a couple of people are now using it for eczema! I've used it in humans, dogs, cats, horses, and rats with no problems.

Now, DO get the prepared tea bags. Those are all made from German chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety which grows in a lot of gardens, is NOT useful as a medicine, and is toxic to cats. And it is very hard to tell the two apart for a layperson.

Sudi Kundrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing you can try is giving her chamomile tea. IF the cause is stress-related, it might do the trick. Buy a box of prepared chamomile tea bags (PLAIN, unblended chamomile) at the grocery store. Brew a cup, and chill in the fridge. Administer via syringe or medicine dropper, which ever is best for you. The dosage is 1-3 teaspoonfuls (for cat over 11 pounds, 1-3 Tablespoonfuls) up to three times a day, It is gently calming without being sedating. You can also use the tea as a wash for the area, as it is soothing for all manner of skin "ouchies." I keep a cup in the fridge during the summer for bug bites, etc, and a couple of people are now using it for eczema! I've used it in humans, dogs, cats, horses, and rats with no problems.

Now, DO get the prepared tea bags. Those are all made from German chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety which grows in a lot of gardens, is NOT useful as a medicine, and is toxic to cats. And it is very hard to tell the two apart for a layperson.
Thank you for the info! If I pat it on her skin, she will lick it off, not a problem!