Cat fur as a spice?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly? I dearly love my cats, but the fact that a guest pulled cat hair our of his or her mouth would have sickened even me. I guess I'm different. I do joke that cat hair is a condiment in our house, but I am very meticulous when it comes to cooking and baking. I would be mortified. One of my biggest fears when I bring food into work is that somebody may find a cat hair in a cookie and I do everything I possibly can to avoid that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of my biggest fears when I bring food into work is that somebody may find a cat hair in a cookie and I do everything I possibly can to avoid that.
I'm somewhat similar, -- if it's just us I don't worry about a cat hair that somehow floated into the microwave (Really, cat?? You've risen to new heights of being everywhere LOL!!) But when I'm making food that someone else outside the regular household will be eating I try to avoid extraneous hairy ingredients (including mine ;) )

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If it's just us, the cats will sit on the table while we're eating! And if we're having something the cats can eat (chicken, tuna, salmon, etc), I'll give them something to munch on, so they can eat along with us. But when guests come, all bets are off. No cats. I have a spotless tablecloth on the table and I won't allow them on the table. One time, we were just sitting down to eat dinner (and we had guests) and Molli jumped right up, just as big as you please. Thank goodness, these people were very good friends and they love our kids. Otherwise, it could have gotten ugly. As it was, I was still upset. Still, you can't allow it one time and not allow it other times. But I made her get down anyway.

When Banshee was a kitten, she went with us to a family reunion picnic at a local state park; Banshee went everywhere with me. I knew it wouldn't go over well with the "old folks" who were there, so Banshee and I sat separately and away from the everybody else. I made sure she had her canned food and bottled water with us and she and I had a good time. Rick pretended he didn't know us. :lol:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t set out to serve cat hair either. Any hair, feathers, etc. would be something I avoid. When taking food anywhere, I’m going to make sure all cats are out during the prep. That said, anyone who comes here to eat will know that I have cats and know me ,so having a cat hair on the sofa, it’s going to happen. During meals the cats will eat in their room if we have company that would not want to snuggle during eating. Lol The big risk here is having a cat in your lap while you eat. I do remember being mortified once as a child. My mother had prepared an elaborate dinner and fancy pastries as dessert. Our company never allowed any animal in their home. Verrry picky. Mother put the beautiful dessert on the table and just after everyone ohhed and Ahhed over it, our Siamese cat landed on the table and walked across the entire platter! To my surprise, everyone laughed and they simply cut the cat path out. They actually ate the untrodden pastry! Mother was an amazing chef and I guess the guests couldn’t resist. Lol I gave my mother a cookbook later that , as I recall, was entitled “A little fur in the Meringue Never really hurts the filling.” It was a family story forever after. Personally, I don’t know how to properly prepare “cat track pastries.” :greenpaw::bluepaw::greenpaw::bluepaw::greenpaw::bluepaw: Mother kept that recipe a secret.