Cat Front legs wound

Shameem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Recently, I had to hospitalize this 6 months cat as he had Calicivirus. I was able to take him home yesterday after around 11 days of hospitlization. I found a wound today on his front leg and has small amount of fluid coming out of it.
I wanted to check if someone is familiar if this could be from the IV in the hospital?

Attachments

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Recently, I had to hospitalize this 6 months cat as he had Calicivirus. I was able to take him home yesterday after around 11 days of hospitlization. I found a wound today on his front leg and has small amount of fluid coming out of it.
I wanted to check if someone is familiar if this could be from the IV in the hospital?
I would contact the vet hospital and let them know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shameem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I cannot contact them. I have to go there and wait for 2 hours for the doctor to have a look, this is why I posted here to check if someone is familiar.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I cannot contact them. I have to go there and wait for 2 hours for the doctor to have a look, this is why I posted here to check if someone is familiar.
They didn’t provide aftercare instructions or things to look for? That is not good. Hopefully someone else can advise.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You just gave your cat extremely high level care for his illness and you paid, probably quite a bit, for it. You have every right to expect them to accept the same photo you sent here and to at least give you minimum advice via phone or text or email. There is no reason for you to have to go to the end of the line again.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above two members. :agree: At the very least you should be able to e-mail the veterinary clinic and attach the photo. Even if they don't answer the phone immediately they should have a voice mail to leave messages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shameem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of you, and yes the bill was extremely high since he was hospitalized with his 2 brothers as well😂 , but tust me where I live this is the only decent vet clinic, with only few veterinarians. This is why it's always very crowded and they do not provide email or phone services.

Anyway, thank you all for your response.

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it probably is from the IV, and that is why the vet clinic should still be responsible for the aftercare. Were you given any discharge papers? The emergency vet clinic by me has a policy where they grant 3 or 4 days after the visit "free" (as I'm sure this is built into the original bill) follow up if problems arise from treatment. Can you at least try to give them a call, like, every 5 minutes until they answer the phone? Spam them.
At a minimum keep the wound clean and don't let your cat get carried away with grooming. I've never had an IV do more than a bruise so I'm not much help I'm afraid.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of you, and yes the bill was extremely high since he was hospitalized with his 2 brothers as well😂 , but tust me where I live this is the only decent vet clinic, with only few veterinarians. This is why it's always very crowded and they do not provide email or phone services.

Anyway, thank you all for your response.
How is the leg doing?