Cat friendly Mosquito Repellent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great!

Essential oils are dangerous when consumed. Even trace amounts on our skin that gets on our fur. You should be safe with showering.

Our elder cats lived with us for over a decade each and we've used essential oils for various things. They've had/have blood work each year with no issues because of washing before touching them. We even have a diffuser that's kept out of reach.
At 16 (almost now!) and 19 they had what was considered excellent kidney and liver values. I know many other pagans in similar situations. I'm convinced that the studies haven't consist there still being trace amounts on the humans, getting on to pets.
Sadly it's warm out again, and the mosquitoes have somehow fallen back inside my home again :(

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S SeanS , does your cat lick you a lot, and that's what you are worried about?

I have a hard time believing that insect repellant would be harmful to a cat if it was applied in an area away from the cat... unless the cat is a licker and licks it off your skin.

I am not a vet, however, so I don't pretend to know anything for sure. Just wondering what your specific worries are.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that eucalyptus and fennel are dangerous for cats. However, we have the following that I found out about catnip. Yes, earlier posts in this thread suggesting catnip made me look it up and that led me to other possibilities if you don't want cat nip. Though from what I read, mint will attract cats as much as catnip.

I know people keep window boxes of citronella and begonias but they are dangerous for cats. And they do have a somewhat unpleasant scent.

The following are listed as repelling mosquitoes. when you grow them. I went through and Googled to see which were safe for cats and which weren't.
Basil, catnip, rosemary, sage, -- these four on the list are safe for cats according to the Net. The ones below are not.

Lavender not safe for cats
some marigolds are safe for cats some aren't.
lemongrass not safe for cats
mint not safe for cats
garlic not safe for cats

9 Plants To Keep Mosquitoes And Flies Away From Your Home (india.com)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read that eucalyptus and fennel are dangerous for cats. However, we have the following that I found out about catnip. Yes, earlier posts in this thread suggesting catnip made me look it up and that led me to other possibilities if you don't want cat nip. Though from what I read, mint will attract cats as much as catnip.

I know people keep window boxes of citronella and begonias but they are dangerous for cats. And they do have a somewhat unpleasant scent.

The following are listed as repelling mosquitoes. when you grow them. I went through and Googled to see which were safe for cats and which weren't.
Basil, catnip, rosemary, sage, -- these four on the list are safe for cats according to the Net. The ones below are not.

Lavender not safe for cats
some marigolds are safe for cats some aren't.
lemongrass not safe for cats
mint not safe for cats
garlic not safe for cats

9 Plants To Keep Mosquitoes And Flies Away From Your Home (india.com)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXY4ZNQS/?tag=thecatsite

So is something like this not safe for a cat? Being using it for a week now, and it's keeping mosquitoes away, but my cat has being sneezing a lot?

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS :
Peppermint..............5%
Lemongrass oil.............27%
INERT INGREDIENTS :
water....................65%
Carrageenan..........3%
Total ....................100%

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
A wonderful person here on site who has rescued and socialized quite a few true ferals suggested to me to rub Gypsy with catnip to protect her from bugs including mosquitoes when we are outside, which we are every day (she has me well trained). Gypsy only likes to eat fresh catnip so I get the stink eye when I rub on the dried. She also said she doesn't trust ANY of the commerical products that state they are pet safe. For inside I grow catnip and have always used window sticky strips. There are different brands, some work better than others. These Raid ones from our local Walmart for under $4.00 work well. I put them high enough that Gypsy can't get to them. They can be used anywhere they will stick. When they are full, or too gross, I cover and stick a paper towel, scrap paper, etc.. and peel it off to throw away.
20230604_145531.jpg
20230604_145632.jpg

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXY4ZNQS/?tag=thecatsite

So is something like this not safe for a cat? Being using it for a week now, and it's keeping mosquitoes away, but my cat has being sneezing a lot?

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS :
Peppermint..............5%
Lemongrass oil.............27%
INERT INGREDIENTS :
water....................65%
Carrageenan..........3%
Total ....................100%
Oh dear, if your kitty is sneezing please stop using it. If they keep sneezing wait a bit longer to make sure. If they stop it's probably the cause if they don't stop something else is likely the problem. Good luck, let us know.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking for the cat safe yard spray a little bird told me about last year, haven't located the recipe yet (it has rubbing achol in it) and ran across this article. I couldn't manage to grab the link so I copied & pasted.
20230604_153328.jpg
20230604_153427.jpg
20230604_153445.jpg
20230604_153528.jpg
20230604_153427.jpg
20230604_153607.jpg
20230604_153645.jpg
20230604_154347.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S SeanS Go to google and put in "Is name of oil whatever toxic to cats?" That should cover anything you find.

Example: Is peppermint oil toxic to cats.