Cat friendly Mosquito Repellent?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm trying to find a mosquito repellent to repel mosquitoes off of me, but a lot of the solutions seem to be poisonous for cats. Obviously I won't spray on my cat, but once I spray it on myself, I'll come into contact with my cat, so not sure what to do there?
Anyone know of any solutions?

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
make an easy lemon juice spray, combining juice from six fresh squeezed lemons and a quart of water. Bring it to a boil, let it steep for an hour, and then put it in a spray bottle once it cools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
make an easy lemon juice spray, combining juice from six fresh squeezed lemons and a quart of water. Bring it to a boil, let it steep for an hour, and then put it in a spray bottle once it cools.
And I then spray it on myself? Don't cats hate lemon juice? How long can you store it for? I assume you also store in the fridge?

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's safe for cats. Mosquitos hate citrus. Warm it up prior to use.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some extra info, my cats kill insects and roaches so no need to worry about it. If I see a live roach I leave it for my cats. They kill,don't eat.

View attachment 425849View attachment 425850
"That's my fly! You can't have it!"
So I know for sure it's mosquitoes, killed a couple yesterday. But still got 5 bites when I woke up today. Cat hisses at them, but doesn't really go after them. Not sure what to do since I don't want to use mosquito repellent if they're toxic to my cats.

Do you know if that lemon mixture would work? I'm hesitant since lemons are poisonous to cats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catnip has been found to repel mosquitos: Catnip repels insects. Scientists may have finally found out how.

Honestly, we take a fan outside. They aren't strong wind-flyers so we just put the fan on rotate.

If we are traveling we light inscence where we stop to picnic etc.

My mum's best friend used to have us stick a dryer sheet in our pockets. It worked pretty decently for me but they don't really like my blood anyway.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have screens on your windows? That keeps the bugs out.. and on your door.

I did not know lemon was poisonous to cats. I know they do not like the smell of citrus; but been toxic?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have screens on your windows? That keeps the bugs out.. and on your door.

I did not know lemon was poisonous to cats. I know they do not like the smell of citrus; but been toxic?
Most citrus is toxic to cats if ingested.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure, I thought it was all-inclusive. Please don't use it.
Dogs and cats are very different. I would not assume toxicity or safeness because it is for the other.

In any case citrus including lemon are toxic to cats on ingestion. Low amounts will cause gastrointestinal upset. Over time, high amounts will cause issues as there's two essential oils that cats cannot breakdown.

Spraying it outside on the ground will not harm your cats IF your cats aren't going outside. If OP sprays themselves outside and then leaves for awhile, a hand/arm wash and change of clothes will be fine. OP is not looking for something to use on the cat.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dogs and cats are very different. I would not assume toxicity or safeness because it is for the other.

In any case citrus including lemon are toxic to cats on ingestion. Low amounts will cause gastrointestinal upset. Over time, high amounts will cause issues as there's two essential oils that cats cannot breakdown.

Spraying it outside on the ground will not harm your cats IF your cats aren't going outside. If OP sprays themselves outside and then leaves for awhile, a hand/arm wash and change of clothes will be fine. OP is not looking for something to use on the cat.
Yeah, I ended up using "Murphy's Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray". I spray inside a room I don't let my cat in. Go outside, come back, change cloth and take a shower. Seems to work okay so far.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I ended up using "Murphy's Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray". I spray inside a room I don't let my cat in. Go outside, come back, change cloth and take a shower. Seems to work okay so far.
Great!

Essential oils are dangerous when consumed. Even trace amounts on our skin that gets on our fur. You should be safe with showering.

Our elder cats lived with us for over a decade each and we've used essential oils for various things. They've had/have blood work each year with no issues because of washing before touching them. We even have a diffuser that's kept out of reach.
At 16 (almost now!) and 19 they had what was considered excellent kidney and liver values. I know many other pagans in similar situations. I'm convinced that the studies haven't consist there still being trace amounts on the humans, getting on to pets.