Cat friendly hotel app or website

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody know good apps or website esp. for people wanting to stay at a hotel with their cat? Air BNB kind of has that option, but looking for something escape proof! just thought there might be a “cat lover’s hotel app.” (Hopefully they don’t mind me putting my cat’s chemo pills in the mini fridge!).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if this would be helpful to you but several years ago our furnace broke on the coldest day of the year, i.e. New Year's Day. Unfortunately we could not get any HVAC repair person to come out so we had to go to a hotel or inn that would accept cats. I called the closest emergency veterinary center and they gave me recommendations. I looked up reviews and called to ask questions. I realize you probably are not talking about local places to stay but maybe doing a search in the area where you will be staying would help.

I did find these websites but have never personally used them:
Dog, Cat and Other Pet Friendly Hotels at Petswelcome.com
Pet Friendly Hotel Chains Where Cats Are Welcome Guests
BringFido: Top Pet Friendly Hotels Worldwide

Good luck, please let us know if you have any luck! :goodluck:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago we needed to travel with Jasmine. We generally prefer Super 8 motels, because the beds are comfortable, they have bathtubs rather than just showers, they always have Wifi, and they aren't too expensive. So we made our reservation online, first checking the website of the Super 8 motel in question to make sure it was "pet friendly," Then we went on the road.

When we got to the motel, we found out the hard way that for many hotels/motels, "pet friendly" means "dog friendly." Cats weren't allowed. We ended up at the only motel in town that accepted cats. The AC unit was set for something like 98 degrees fahrenheit and it was impossible to turn it off or change the setting in any way, so we had to sleep with the window open. Unfortunately, there was no screen in the window, so Jasmine had to spend the night locked in the bathroom. It was a nightmare.

Unfortunately, no. I have never seen a hotel app specifically for people who travel with cats. I recommend making all reservations ahead of time. Check the website of any hotel you think you may want to stay at to make sure it's pet friendly, and then either call or email to make sure that when they say "pet" they also mean "cat." And be aware that when you actually find a place that accepts cats it will be with certain caveats. You'll likely have to pay a deposit to guarantee that your cat will damage nothing, and they will require you to keep the cat with you at all times, so no leaving the cat alone with food, water, and a litter box while you go sight-seeing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but better to learn from someone else's bad experiences than from your own.

Margret

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several years ago we needed to travel with Jasmine. We generally prefer Super 8 motels, because the beds are comfortable, they have bathtubs rather than just showers, they always have Wifi, and they aren't too expensive. So we made our reservation online, first checking the website of the Super 8 motel in question to make sure it was "pet friendly," Then we went on the road.

When we got to the motel, we found out the hard way that for many hotels/motels, "pet friendly" means "dog friendly." Cats weren't allowed. We ended up at the only motel in town that accepted cats. The AC unit was set for something like 98 degrees fahrenheit and it was impossible to turn it off or change the setting in any way, so we had to sleep with the window open. Unfortunately, there was no screen in the window, so Jasmine had to spend the night locked in the bathroom. It was a nightmare.

Unfortunately, no. I have never seen a hotel app specifically for people who travel with cats. I recommend making all reservations ahead of time. Check the website of any hotel you think you may want to stay at to make sure it's pet friendly, and then either call or email to make sure that when they say "pet" they also mean "cat." And be aware that when you actually find a place that accepts cats it will be with certain caveats. You'll likely have to pay a deposit to guarantee that your cat will damage nothing, and they will require you to keep the cat with you at all times, so no leaving the cat alone with food, water, and a litter box while you go sight-seeing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but better to learn from someone else's bad experiences than from your own.

Margret
I agree, call and email and get confirmation ahead of time. There was one hotel on bringfido that said it was pet friendly, and when I emailed to ask if they allowed cats they said yes but only if it's declawed. Horrifying!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this…so sorry you & Jasmine had such a struggle…

This a challenge, not bad tidings! I bet if every cat owner on the planet donated to a go fund me site, we’d have a hotel chain, dedicated to cats, no d-gs allowed. (OK well only if they can put up with a TON of cats). It would start with a kitty litter machine -you know, like an ice machine down the hall- and I’m sure all of you have imput. I vote the street sign is in the shape of a giant cat head.

Meantime back in reality land, someone has offered me an off grid cabin when they fix my plumbing, so hopefully Zorro likes the Thoreau lifestyle.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg kitty litter machine in the hall has me rolling! :flail: Glad you found a solution this time!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
La Quinta is pet friendly. Yes. Cats too. I've had to stay at hotels with the girls in the past. I have an enclosed playpen for them that's big enough for their things also so I don't have to worry about them getting out the door or under a bed. We've never had an issue with La Quinta even when we had the dog too.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat playpen is an excellent idea. Many years ago Pretzel got under a motel bed and climbed up in the bed springs. It took us half an hour to get her out. After that experience we always kept her on a leash in hotels, so there'd be something we could pull on when she found herself a cozy nook and planned to remain there sleeping the day away.

Glad to hear about La Quinta; I'll have to bear that in mind in future.

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The playpen is great. My biggest fear was them getting out the door. I bought two plastic dishpans from Dollar Tree and put a small plush blanket in each. The blankets were already theirs so they had their scent on them. They sleep in these. The playpen is from Amazon.

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anybody know good apps or website esp. for people wanting to stay at a hotel with their cat? Air BNB kind of has that option, but looking for something escape proof! just thought there might be a “cat lover’s hotel app.” (Hopefully they don’t mind me putting my cat’s chemo pills in the mini fridge!).
I was going to suggest AirBnB because every time I have travelled with River this is what I have done, but I see your objection RE: escape proof.

What exactly do you mean by 'escape proof' in this context?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for not replying sooner: I guess I just mean that the place has no little nooks or crannies the cat could delve into like loose ceiling tiles or air ducts or attics…have read some crazy tales about this on TCS (tho not air bnb related). Every time I go on air bnb tho, you can’t plug it in just for cats, which makes the hunt complicated. I tell you, someone here could make a FORTUNE designing an app just for cat friendly hotels, as so often you get there and it turns out it’s dogs only. Plus, can you imagine how great all of us would be as reviewers? I might have to find something soon tho..my kitchen is getting ripped out next year.