Cat Freaks Out When I Go In The Shower

carnivalnights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every time I go in the shower, my cat Watson has a conniption. He screeches loudly (not normal meowing, stressed meowing), fairly constantly until I get out, and is visibly upset and anxious and wants me out of there. Sometimes he even puts his paws up on the tub and tries to swat at me while I am in there, like he is angry at me. I've had to back up a few times because he has almost swiped me. He will not leave the bathroom until I am out.

I've only had him for a few weeks but he does this every single time I go in the shower without fail. I do not close the bathroom door and I even leave the shower curtain open a bit so that he knows everything is okay. I keep popping my head out and talking to him but that doesn't seem to help because he keeps screeching and pacing, coming back to the curtains, pawing at them, trying to paw at me. As soon as I am out of the shower, he is perfectly fine and goes back to his normal loving self.

He's about a year old. Does anyone know what this could mean? Is he just stressed that I am not fully visible to him and thinks I have left him? If that is the case, why doesn't talking to him while I'm in there help? It's so strange. I wish I could curb this behaviour because I feel so stressed out and rushed while I am in there and I really want to enjoy my showers again! LOL!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is terribly frightened for you. Cats hate water, and he is shocked when you get into that downpour. He's afraid something will happen to you. Maybe something happened to him in a previous life that traumatized him. Have you tried shutting the door and keeping him out while you shower?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carnivalnights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I never thought of his behaviour as being fear for me. Hmm. He seems more angry than scared, I guess that's why. I have not tried shutting the door - I thought that would make him even more upset because he is so attached to me. If I leave a room, he immediately follows. Everywhere. But I could try shutting the door and seeing what happens. I just figured he would cry outside the door until I came out. Thank you for your input! That's an interesting take on it. He does drink out of the bathtub but maybe he is scared of the shower/large amounts of water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If shutting him out doesn't work, try giving him treats. If the toilet is nearby, show him that there are treats on top of it. I only suggest this because two of our cats actually like(d) to sit on top of the commode right next to the shower stall when one of us would take a shower. They could see in though, because it was glass doors.

You could also try a clear (see-through) shower curtain as well - maybe if he can actually see you it won't bug him as much?

carnivalnights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If shutting him out doesn't work, try giving him treats. If the toilet is nearby, show him that there are treats on top of it. I only suggest this because two of our cats actually like(d) to sit on top of the commode right next to the shower stall when one of us would take a shower. They could see in though, because it was glass doors.

You could also try a clear (see-through) shower curtain as well - maybe if he can actually see you it won't bug him as much?
That's actually a very good idea - associate some positivity in the space with treats. I will give that a go! He is always sitting on the counter while I am getting ready (brushing my teeth, doing my hair), so he does enjoy being in there with me when the shower is not on. So at least I know it is not the bathroom itself, just when the water is on.

I did contemplate a see-through curtain as well. Hopefully it does not come to that but that is something to keep in mind. Thank you for your help!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... He seems more angry than scared, I guess that's why. I have not tried shutting the door - I thought that would make him even more upset because he is so attached to me. If I leave a room, he immediately follows. Everywhere. But I could try shutting the door and seeing what happens. ...
I'm pretty sure it might be the attachment factor. Plus, it could be that he doesn't yet know your regular patterns since he has been with you for only a few weeks.

Does this behavior happen with him if you shower only at a particular time, like in the morning between, say, 5-7 am?

Does he get his meal-at-hand (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, depending on the time of your shower) before you go into the shower or after?

I have a cat that meows her head off if I shower between 5-7 am. If I shower after she has eaten, then things are quieter. I am the main food caretaker during the daytime (my husband is on night duty with the cat). She ignores it when my husband showers in the morning. If I shower between 8-9 am, she is blissfully quiet. It's weird, but I just think she is generally more active and ready to play or to eat during particular times. So, you could try (1) feed before the shower, (2) shower a few hours later, if possible, to see if either of those things helps.

I know the meowing can be really stressful when you just want to relax, or wake up, in the shower each day.
:runaround:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try closing the door, or maybe getting a shower curtain that is clear so that he can see you somewhat and talk to him the whole time while you are showering.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stray I rescued over 5 years ago from the street. He cries in great distress whenever he happens to be in the bathroom when I shower. I think it is in part due to a cat's natural aversion to water. But I have seen neighbors turn a water hose on a cat they wanted off their property. Maybe something similar happened to your cat?

carnivalnights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it might be the attachment factor. Plus, it could be that he doesn't yet know your regular patterns since he has been with you for only a few weeks.

Does this behavior happen with him if you shower only at a particular time, like in the morning between, say, 5-7 am?

Does he get his meal-at-hand (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, depending on the time of your shower) before you go into the shower or after?

I have a cat that meows her head off if I shower between 5-7 am. If I shower after she has eaten, then things are quieter. I am the main food caretaker during the daytime (my husband is on night duty with the cat). She ignores it when my husband showers in the morning. If I shower between 8-9 am, she is blissfully quiet. It's weird, but I just think she is generally more active and ready to play or to eat during particular times. So, you could try (1) feed before the shower, (2) shower a few hours later, if possible, to see if either of those things helps.

I know the meowing can be really stressful when you just want to relax, or wake up, in the shower each day.
:runaround:
Nope, this does not seem to happen at a particular time in terms of meal because my showers happen pretty long after his meals. So interesting your cat is calmer after she is fed but that makes sense I guess, especially if she has certain times where she is more active or ready to eat as you said. I think for my cat in particular it does not have to do with food/feedings. It could be the attachment factor like you said though.

carnivalnights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try closing the door, or maybe getting a shower curtain that is clear so that he can see you somewhat and talk to him the whole time while you are showering.
Talking to him while I was showering unfortunately did not work. He was still very upset - it didn't matter how much I talked to him or popped my head out to let him know everything was okay.

However, over the weekend, I did try closing the door as I couple people suggested here and it seemed to work! I thought Watson would freak out but he actually didn't. I didn't even hear him behind the door. He did sit behind the door waiting for me to come out but he did not cry or meow or paw at the door like I thought he would. He just patiently waited. So perhaps closing the door is the solution!

carnivalnights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stray I rescued over 5 years ago from the street. He cries in great distress whenever he happens to be in the bathroom when I shower. I think it is in part due to a cat's natural aversion to water. But I have seen neighbors turn a water hose on a cat they wanted off their property. Maybe something similar happened to your cat?
Yes, very true! Something like this could have happened when they were out on the streets which would explain his fear of more harsh running water. Very good point. Poor kitties. :(