cat fountain: cleaning schedule and refilling schedule

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! For those with cat fountains, how often do you refill it and clean it?

I've been cleaning ours once a week (disassemble, warm water, soap, brush, etc) and refilling it once a week. I'm thinking our cleaning schedule is ok but I probably should be changing the water out more. Before the fountain I would just top off her water bowl every other day. I've noticed the past couple of weeks a trend where the two days after I refill it my cat drinks a TON but then her thirst tapers off. Litter box deposits confirm this too. This is the fountain we use and it's been ok: fountain.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I cleaned my angel Poppycat's fountain every couple days (He was a bit drooly). I'd rinse and refill with fresh filtered water daily although I didn't use any soap, just a little hydrogen peroxide now and then with a really good rinse :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why the hydrogen peroxide instead of soap?
Mostly because I have hummingbird bird feeders and a large majority of the people in that community advocate against using soap due to the possibility of residue left behind. I'm admittedly somewhat inconsistent because I put his food dishes through the dishwasher lol

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wash our swan fountain out completely with hot soapy water and a brush once a week, and refill it completely after cleaning but I frequently top it up throughout the week. It's not their only source of water though which is why I only change it out once a week.

Following this thread myself to see if I should change anything up, though!