Cat fountain advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kind of gets me as to why manufacturers don't have stronger, better insulation on their cords. My cats have chewed on the cords of water fountains before. Scary. Another reason why the wireless one with the battery on outside (no cord) is appealing. Along with the Petlibro with wireless pump and claims safety features of the charging base (yet still uses a cord all the time connected to base to operate).
Yes indeed why they don't think about the customers someone should contact manufacturers and ask them this since if cats get hurt or die people won't buy them and they would lose customers and get bad ratings we want to protect our furry friends😻.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread got me searching and I came across the uahpet wireless & battery operated cat water fountain. Sounds very interesting and I have may have to look into myself. It's not stainless steel but checks off the boxes in some other things like no cord (wireless), battery operated outside water area. Pump I believe not in water too so that means easier to clean.
My Uhapet fountain came today. The pump and battery do indeed sit outside the water. The pump has a hose connected to it with a filter on the end of the hose. The hose goes into the water. The pump pulls the water up through the hose like an elephant’s trunk and spits it out above the tray. The trickle is not significant. I don’t know if it would be enough to attract a cat who wants flowing water. On the upside, the reservoir contains enough water that your pet won’t be left high and dry if the battery runs out. Remind me tomorrow and I’ll take some pictures. Where it is right now doesn’t get very good camera-friendly light at night.

Things I like about it:
- wireless pump and totally wireless operation. The whole thing is wireless. The pump and battery are a removable elephant piece. There is a trunk-like hose with a foam filter on the end that pulls water up from the tank through into the pump and spits it out into the upper basin. The basin has enough capacity to provide water even when the pump is not running.
- easy to fill: like a sink or a toilet with the overflow hole near the top, there’s a space between the upper basin and the lower tank that if the water overflows the basin and the filter, it will overflow into the lower tank rather than onto the table/floor that the fountain rest on. This makes it easy to refill the tank without having to remove the basin. This is a plus because the basin and filter are a clumsy, cheap fit. More on this later.
- Battery operated, USB-C rechargeable. Battery and pump assembly can be removed if you want to charge the battery without any chance of the cat drinking from the fountain at the same time. The basin can hold enough water to likely last your cat(s) long enough until the battery is recharged (and reinserted into the fountain if charged separately.) On the other paw, there’s nothing preventing you from recharging the fountain battery while it’s inserted and operating. Neither the battery, nor the pump sit in the water. I will probably use a USB battery pack to charge this pump/battery when it needs it so that I don’t have to move the fountain to a power source, or remove the “elephant” (pump/battery assembly.)
- Transparent tank makes it easy to see the water level. Because the fountain doesn’t have to remain plugged in, I can either bring the Brita pitcher to the fountain or I can pick up the fountain and bring it to the Brita pitcher. I imagine this will make it even quicker and easier to wash than the Homerunpet which is my current favorite fountain to clean (that Betty probably doesn’t use.)

Things I don’t like about this:
- Build seems very cheap. The basin, filter, and pump pieces do eventually go together. But the cut and fit seems cheap and you have to be mindful of that. If you really look at it, there is a recessed area the filter fits into. And yet it can also fit outside this area. And if it sits where it doesn’t fit, the basin doesn’t fit and the pump doesn’t fit. So, as they say in the London Tube, Mind the Gap!
- In the other fountains I’ve used, the tank sits inside another layer that would hold the power supply so that the tank can be removed without disconnecting the power supply. It has the additional benefit of separating your floor or furniture from the condensation on the tank. In this fountain, since there’s no power supply needed, there’s no assembly protecting your floor/furniture from the condensation on the tank. This can be easily fixed with a small pee pad underneath the tank. I have a small pee pad under the Homerunpet anyway. Though that’s mostly because I don’t have the best aim when refilling it. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹
- The water flow is not very strong. If your cat likes to drink from flowing water, this may be too weak. Where it sits right now is not getting very good light. I will re-inspect tomorrow.
- The same basin that provides water if the battery runs out of charge is also going to hold standing water if that flow isn’t very strong. This also deserves further inspection tomorrow.
- It’s cheap looking. I don’t know how durable this thing is going to be. I also haven’t torn down the elephant to see if the pump can be cleaned. I suspect the elephant is not an field replaceable unit (eg you could buy just that piece) meaning that if there’s an issue with the pump, it’s a whole new fountain purchase outside whatever warranty it carries. That’s par for the course for a $40 fountain, though.

Of course all of this is moot if Betty won’t drink from it. So 🤞!
🤷🏼‍♂️😾🤦🏼‍♂️

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Uhapet fountain came today. The pump and battery do indeed sit outside the water. The pump has a hose connected to it with a filter on the end of the hose. The hose goes into the water. The pump pulls the water up through the hose like an elephant’s trunk and spits it out above the tray. The trickle is not significant. I don’t know if it would be enough to attract a cat who wants flowing water. On the upside, the reservoir contains enough water that your pet won’t be left high and dry if the battery runs out. Remind me tomorrow and I’ll take some pictures. Where it is right now doesn’t get very good camera-friendly light at night.

Things I like about it:
- wireless pump and totally wireless operation. The whole thing is wireless. The pump and battery are a removable elephant piece. There is a trunk-like hose with a foam filter on the end that pulls water up from the tank through into the pump and spits it out into the upper basin. The basin has enough capacity to provide water even when the pump is not running.
- easy to fill: like a sink or a toilet with the overflow hole near the top, there’s a space between the upper basin and the lower tank that if the water overflows the basin and the filter, it will overflow into the lower tank rather than onto the table/floor that the fountain rest on. This makes it easy to refill the tank without having to remove the basin. This is a plus because the basin and filter are a clumsy, cheap fit. More on this later.
- Battery operated, USB-C rechargeable. Battery and pump assembly can be removed if you want to charge the battery without any chance of the cat drinking from the fountain at the same time. The basin can hold enough water to likely last your cat(s) long enough until the battery is recharged (and reinserted into the fountain if charged separately.) On the other paw, there’s nothing preventing you from recharging the fountain battery while it’s inserted and operating. Neither the battery, nor the pump sit in the water. I will probably use a USB battery pack to charge this pump/battery when it needs it so that I don’t have to move the fountain to a power source, or remove the “elephant” (pump/battery assembly.)
- Transparent tank makes it easy to see the water level. Because the fountain doesn’t have to remain plugged in, I can either bring the Brita pitcher to the fountain or I can pick up the fountain and bring it to the Brita pitcher. I imagine this will make it even quicker and easier to wash than the Homerunpet which is my current favorite fountain to clean (that Betty probably doesn’t use.)

Things I don’t like about this:
- Build seems very cheap. The basin, filter, and pump pieces do eventually go together. But the cut and fit seems cheap and you have to be mindful of that. If you really look at it, there is a recessed area the filter fits into. And yet it can also fit outside this area. And if it sits where it doesn’t fit, the basin doesn’t fit and the pump doesn’t fit. So, as they say in the London Tube, Mind the Gap!
- In the other fountains I’ve used, the tank sits inside another layer that would hold the power supply so that the tank can be removed without disconnecting the power supply. It has the additional benefit of separating your floor or furniture from the condensation on the tank. In this fountain, since there’s no power supply needed, there’s no assembly protecting your floor/furniture from the condensation on the tank. This can be easily fixed with a small pee pad underneath the tank. I have a small pee pad under the Homerunpet anyway. Though that’s mostly because I don’t have the best aim when refilling it. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹
- The water flow is not very strong. If your cat likes to drink from flowing water, this may be too weak. Where it sits right now is not getting very good light. I will re-inspect tomorrow.
- The same basin that provides water if the battery runs out of charge is also going to hold standing water if that flow isn’t very strong. This also deserves further inspection tomorrow.
- It’s cheap looking. I don’t know how durable this thing is going to be. I also haven’t torn down the elephant to see if the pump can be cleaned. I suspect the elephant is not an field replaceable unit (eg you could buy just that piece) meaning that if there’s an issue with the pump, it’s a whole new fountain purchase outside whatever warranty it carries. That’s par for the course for a $40 fountain, though.

Of course all of this is moot if Betty won’t drink from it. So 🤞!
🤷🏼‍♂️😾🤦🏼‍♂️
Thanks for the review. When looking, I was concerned about how well the fountain is built. I currently have two fountains. I attached pictures (one picture of off Amazon, the other is my actual fountain). The Aquastream I like because the bowl is open in that should the power go out, there still is water to drink. The Wopet, I like because easier to maintain and the pump seems durable. But the filters are expensive. The closed lid on top, though not having water should the power go out is good because cats can't knock off the top (cats might try to on the Aquastream).

Notice the plastic tubing. I added that to prevent cats from chewing the cord.

Attachments

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just saw that Petlibro came out with a new docking fountain that can run on a battery. It can have a continuous flow if run off an adaptor or if run by battery, does a flow if your cat is nearby along with a 20 second flow every hour. Also checks other boxes like steel drinking area, easy to clean (no wire pump).

For more info, here is their website: Dockstream Battery-Operated Water Fountain

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw that Petlibro came out with a new docking fountain that can run on a battery. It can have a continuous flow if run off an adaptor or if run by battery, does a flow if your cat is nearby along with a 20 second flow every hour. Also checks other boxes like steel drinking area, easy to clean (no wire pump).

For more info, here is their website: Dockstream Battery-Operated Water Fountain
I still can’t get Betty to drink out or any of the water sources I provide for her. It might be the water. I think I’ll pick up some drinking water today. I ordered one of these Dockstreams because I like the wireless design. It seems to be a combination of the things I like in the Homerunpet (wireless pump that’s also serviceable and a separation between the water tank and the external surface meaning the fountain doesn’t sweat on the floor or furniture) and the things I like about the Uhapet (entirely wireless operation, motion activated.) Now if I can just find some water she likes.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still can’t get Betty to drink out or any of the water sources I provide for her. It might be the water. I think I’ll pick up some drinking water today. I ordered one of these Dockstreams because I like the wireless design. It seems to be a combination of the things I like in the Homerunpet (wireless pump that’s also serviceable and a separation between the water tank and the external surface meaning the fountain doesn’t sweat on the floor or furniture) and the things I like about the Uhapet (entirely wireless operation, motion activated.) Now if I can just find some water she likes.
Have you tried filtered water from a filter water pitcher? I change the water from my fountain at least once a week and one of my cats seem to like fresh, cold filtered water as right after I clean, she goes to the bowl and takes several sips.

There are so many fountains to choose from. I did get a battery operated on a few days ago and one of my cats took to right right away and did the sipping just after I set it up. After looking at the newer fountains, I don't think I'd want one with a corded pump again. The ones without a cord look so much easier to clean.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried filtered water from a filter water pitcher? I change the water from my fountain at least once a week and one of my cats seem to like fresh, cold filtered water as right after I clean, she goes to the bowl and takes several sips.

There are so many fountains to choose from. I did get a battery operated on a few days ago and one of my cats took to right right away and did the sipping just after I set it up. After looking at the newer fountains, I don't think I'd want one with a corded pump again. The ones without a cord look so much easier to clean.
I’ve been using filtered tap water from a Brita pitcher. I don’t think she likes the taste of it. Or the smell of it really. She does a sniff and pass on the fountains. At this point, I’m prioritizing ease of cleaning. Wireless pumps is where it’s at. I clean the fountains every week. Maybe one day I’ll find the water or the fountain that she likes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m including this video because it shows her sniff and walk away from the latest fountain (Uhapet) which seems to be more than she did with the previous fountain. We’re getting close. 🤞

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you look at the water level of the fountain and see that it hasn't changed? I say that because one of my cats, I hardly see him drink. The other, I do. But I notice to water level drop fast enough so I know that he has to be drinking, but just not in front of me. Betty is a beautiful cat!

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1st experience with a battery operated cat fountain was a fail. The cats like the fountain and drink from it. But unfortunately, because it is battery operated the water isn't constantly flowing and one of my cats likes to paw the water as a result, cat litter from her paw settles on the drinking area and doesn't was away even after the fountain gets triggered.

I do like the idea of cordless, but now am rethinking if the pawing cat litter problem is inherent with all battery operated types. I'm still interested in that Petlibro battery docking model but wonder if on the intermittent mode, would this problem be there also.

In the meantime, I'm also interested in a simple corded, flowing model called the Pawaii FunFlow2. I gave away my Aquastream thinking this battery operated would work out (It's okay as the Aquastream is a bit of a chore to set up and put away).

I still have my Wopet steel fountain which so far is the best I've owned.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Uhapet and the Dockstream both support motion detection. This is better than a dumb intermittent mode that simply turns on and off on its own schedule. Perhaps having the fountain turn on before your cat even gets there will discourage the litter paw stirring.

I still don’t have any evidence on my camera of Betty using the fountain. And the water level has barely moved (if at all? 🤷🏼‍♂️) since yesterday.

One thing I noticed when cleaning both the fountains yesterday: the Homerunpet that runs continuously seems to get slimier than the Uhapet that only runs on motion. I don’t know what that’s about. Maybe Betty is super stealthy drinking out of that fountain and her saliva is making it slimy. Or maybe it’s something with our water, the fountain, the filter (?!), or the continuous mode of operation. 🤷🏼‍♂️

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The battery operated fountain that I used wasn't a dumb one as once triggered, it would turn on once, go in intermittent mode that wouldn't trigger again unless 30 mins since the last trigger. That cats seemed to like the fountain as I did notice the water level lowered.

But as for the paw in water, I think what is happening is during the day when easy to see, the cat didn't paw the water. But at night she probably pawed the water to judge the water level. As I'd notice the litter remnants in the water by morning. I kept on thinking if they drank with the water having litter at the bottom of the tray, that's too yucky so decided to stop using this fountain. I didn't want to go to the trouble of emptying and rinsing off the lid either as then there's really no benefit than just using a bowl.

I went ahead and asked Petlibro about there battery operated fountain in intermittent mode and would it clear the cat litter, explaining about my cat's tendency to paw the water. They did respond and say that they think that because their filter is very thick, it probably won't and there'll be a chance the litter would block the flow of the water draining.

Guess I'll chalk that one off my list of fountains. I do appreciate Petlibro for giving an honest answer.

As for your cat not drinking, I have another question. Do you feed Betty mostly wet foods with gravy? I read that if so, some cats get most of their fluid from the wet foods. Of course, ideally you want them to drink water too, but that's just another thought to consider as to why she may be hardly drinking from the fountain.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The battery operated fountain that I used wasn't a dumb one as once triggered, it would turn on once, go in intermittent mode that wouldn't trigger again unless 30 mins since the last trigger. That cats seemed to like the fountain as I did notice the water level lowered.

But as for the paw in water, I think what is happening is during the day when easy to see, the cat didn't paw the water. But at night she probably pawed the water to judge the water level. As I'd notice the litter remnants in the water by morning. I kept on thinking if they drank with the water having litter at the bottom of the tray, that's too yucky so decided to stop using this fountain. I didn't want to go to the trouble of emptying and rinsing off the lid either as then there's really no benefit than just using a bowl.

I went ahead and asked Petlibro about there battery operated fountain in intermittent mode and would it clear the cat litter, explaining about my cat's tendency to paw the water. They did respond and say that they think that because their filter is very thick, it probably won't and there'll be a chance the litter would block the flow of the water draining.

Guess I'll chalk that one off my list of fountains. I do appreciate Petlibro for giving an honest answer.

As for your cat not drinking, I have another question. Do you feed Betty mostly wet foods with gravy? I read that if so, some cats get most of their fluid from the wet foods. Of course, ideally you want them to drink water too, but that's just another thought to consider as to why she may be hardly drinking from the fountain.
She gets only wet food. Yes. That is helpful for her daily moisture needs. But I wish she would just drink a little more sometimes. She’s taking a low dose of daily steroids. That has to be making her thirsty. Though we’re at a low enough dose, it’s not making her as hungry as before. So maybe it’s not making her as thirsty either. We have a recheck appointment in a couple weeks after being on steroids this long and tapering twice. It’s also a pre screen for a dental appointment later this year. I hope. I’m sure if she’s chronically dehydrated that will show up in her physical or lab work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Betty is adorable. I got a raindrop stainless steel fountain not crazy about it when I saw the cord is somewhat in the water at least the drinkwell the cord to the motor was under the fountain and not in the water.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are so many configurations to choose from. I just ordered the Pawaii FunFlow2 from Amazon.

If cats approve, this will replace the Aquastream that I gave away. This looks like a very simple design and I'm intrigued about the wireless pump. According to the promo video, the flow flushes cat hair and dust down a water stream to the filter. Hope this is the case.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I set up The Pawaii FunFlow2 cat fountain I got recently. One of my cats (the drinker) took to it right away. The successful test will be in the morning checking if there is no or little cat litter on the surface from her pawing the water at night.

In the meantime, here is a demonstration (staring Princess).

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typo :ohwell:. I meant to say Starring Princess, not Staring.

I checked in the morning and looks like the new fountain held up. There were no traces of cat litter from pawing so I think if any, was washed onto the filter. Also, the fountain survived getting pushed by my other cat who likes to tip things over. I saw the fountain was moved to another position (I set it against the wall) but still upright. The Pawaii fountain gets a thumbs up from me.