Cat fountain advice

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a drink well plastic fountain. I am trying to find a stainless steel fountain with a spout like a drink well that is good that won't die on me I have had this one for years I'd like the next one to last as long.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the next one to last as long.
Hi
The challenge here for you might be the current production runs of every brand. I have had a pioneer pet swan-neck version for several years, and have had to replace a couple parts because of poor manufacturing, (but since the cat won't drink from anything else, nothing else will do :) )

You might type something in your search engine like; pet fountain to replace drinkwell, or; pet fountain similar to drinkwell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help I'll try it. I tried to look up some but I don't know which one to get. I figure since ours is plastic and it's hard to clean I was thinking metal would be easier to clean.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with Drinkwell, but own a couple.

The one I use now is a stainless steel one made by WOPET. It holds 2 liters is easy to clean. The filters however, are a bit on the expensive side and where the drinking area is, is also the cover so you can't see the water level.

I also have another that has a stainless steel bottom but plastic where the spout is and covers the pump. Unfortunately, I don't recall the the name at the moment.

One flaw I've noticed with cat fountains is the cords aren't protected from cats chewing. I've losts a couple of pumps this way. I ended up having to buy something to wrap around the cord for protection.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried to look up some but I don't know which one to get.
You might try finding the reviews (chewy, amazon) for a couple that you're thinking of and see if people comment about how easy or not they are to clean. The Pioneer pet one that I have is nicely straightforward regarding cleaning the motor housing, impellor area etc.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Drinkwell pagoda type - it’s ceramic, but I find it easy to clean. I have two cats and clean it once a week, and replace the filters once a month. There’s a review from a few years ago here if you’re interested.

Rev

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a drink well plastic fountain. I am trying to find a stainless steel fountain with a spout like a drink well that is good that won't die on
I have a drink well plastic fountain. I am trying to find a stainless steel fountain with a spout like a drink well that is good that won't die on me I have had this one for years I'd like the next one to last as long.
I just had My 15 year old cat Killed by A water fountain/ Dish with a chiller That I bought onlline. The fountain pump Was a fish tank type pump That's what killed him. But I was very aware that I that I should install a a fault circuit plug And never did it So I guess I killed my own cat. Be aware of these electric type cat water online. ) :

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This thread got me searching and I came across the uahpet wireless & battery operated cat water fountain. Sounds very interesting and I have may have to look into myself. It's not stainless steel but checks off the boxes in some other things like no cord (wireless), battery operated outside water area. Pump I believe not in water too so that means easier to clean.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread got me searching and I came across the uahpet wireless & battery operated cat water fountain. Sounds very interesting and I have may have to look into myself. It's not stainless steel but checks off the boxes in some other things like no cord (wireless), battery operated outside water area. Pump I believe not in water too so that means easier to clean.
I don’t know how the pump can operate without being in the water. But I’ve been wanting to try this fountain for awhile. So I bought one and it should arrive in the next day or two. Betty hasn’t shown much interest in the other fountains I’ve purchased though. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I like the design of the Homerunpet fountain which uses a wireless pump. The fountain still needs to be plugged in and the pump sits in the water where it’s needed. But I believe it uses magnetic induction between the pump and the base to provide power to the pump without a wire or a battery. The whole fountain assembly easily lifts out of the base without having to unplug anything. Each piece is ridiculously easy to clean. The whole fountain teardown and clean can be done in under five minutes. And again, no awkward fussing with cables. If I have to thread and unthread the pump cable every time, that’s not a fountain I want to clean. Ever.

Homerunpet Cat Water Fountain with Wireless Pump, 68oz/2L Ultra Quiet Pet Water Fountain for Cats and Dogs, Easy to Clean and Assemble, Filters Included, Dual Working Mode, Smart LED Light https://a.co/d/5YOjOdv

Sadly, I don’t have much evidence that Betty ever uses either of the Homerunpet fountains I bought for her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😾

Last edited:

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how the pump can operate without being in the water. But I’ve been wanting to try this fountain for awhile. So I bought one and it should arrive in the next day or two. Betty hasn’t shown much interest in the other fountains I’ve purchased though. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I like the design of the Homerunpet fountain which uses a wireless pump. The fountain still needs to be plugged in and the pump sits in the water where it’s needed. But I believe it uses magnetic induction between the pump and the base to provide power to the pump without a wire or a battery. The whole fountain assembly easily lifts out of the base without having to unplug anything. Each piece is ridiculously easy to clean. The whole fountain teardown and clean can be done in under five minutes. And again, no awkward fussing with cables. If I have to thread and unthread the pump cable every time, that’s not a fountain I want to clean. Ever.

Homerunpet Cat Water Fountain with Wireless Pump, 68oz/2L Ultra Quiet Pet Water Fountain for Cats and Dogs, Easy to Clean and Assemble, Filters Included, Dual Working Mode, Smart LED Light https://a.co/d/5YOjOdv

Sadly, I don’t have much evidence that Betty ever uses either of the Homerunpet fountains I bought for her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😾
According to description, seems the pump is above the battery, external to the water. Perhaps there must be a hose to reaches the water. I did partial screen grab from Amazon.

Another fountain that has my interest is the Petlibro Dockstream. The Petlibro is not fully wireless, but looks like not much maintenance. Uses a wireless pump.

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to description, seems the pump is above the battery, external to the water. Perhaps there must be a hose to reaches the water. I did partial screen grab from Amazon.

Another fountain that has my interest is the Petlibro Dockstream. The Petlibro is not fully wireless, but looks like not much maintenance. Uses a wireless pump.
I was also looking at PetLibro. But I think the one I was looking at (the Capsule perhaps?) did not have a wireless pump. I don’t need the full fountain to be wireless. But not having a wireless pump is a deal-breaker to me once I’ve seen the genius in it. There is another fountain similar to Homerunpet that I have that had a variation on the wireless pump. The pump was still wired into the fountain. But the removable fountain made electrical contact through the bottom of the base. That always made me a little nervous when washing it because I had to place the fountain back in the base and I assume those contacts had to be good and dry before I did so. Betty did drink from this one. But only when she was nauseated and usually a big water barf would follow. Since we’ve gotten the nausea under control, I don’t see her drinking from any fountains. I even bought a Drinkwell Avalon—a big porcelain number that the pump cable threads through the base. Pain in the butt to clean. I would have bought a second one just to make the cleaning easier if she would have used it. Right now it’s waiting to be descaled (ran fresh out of vinegar yesterday) so I can take it back for store credit. Maybe take another fountain home to get rejected by the boss. 😾👎🤦‍♂️

Rev

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had My 15 year old cat Killed by A water fountain/ Dish with a chiller That I bought onlline. The fountain pump Was a fish tank type pump That's what killed him. But I was very aware that I that I should install a a fault circuit plug And never did it So I guess I killed my own cat. Be aware of these electric type cat water online. ) :

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did it kill him did he chew throught the cord?

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg that's terrible now I'm all paranoid how do you prevent that???.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg that's terrible now I'm all paranoid how do you prevent that???.
I’m sure it’s a freak thing. But I would think a wireless pump is safer than one which has a wire in the water.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kind of gets me as to why manufacturers don't have stronger, better insulation on their cords. My cats have chewed on the cords of water fountains before. Scary. Another reason why the wireless one with the battery on outside (no cord) is appealing. Along with the Petlibro with wireless pump and claims safety features of the charging base (yet still uses a cord all the time connected to base to operate).