Cat Food

GeorgTep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, this is in regards to understanding premium cat food and your thoughts

Im looking at changing my cats diet and want to know your opinion on these brands:
- Ultimates Indulge
- Dine Desire
- Fancy Feast

It'd be great to hear some feedback,
Thanks!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of the first two , but fancy feats classic pates are decent food. I know a lot of members here feed that or have it in their rotation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeorgTep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow, they must only be Australian based then.
Do you mind me asking if your cat has reacted to fancy feast at all? i've seen a lot of mixed reviews

GeorgTep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi G GeorgTep and welcome to TCS!

Yes the Ultimates range is just in Australia. It comes from Safcol, the seafood company. I'm not wild about a seafood diet for cats, although I do give them some as a treat or mix some in with their chicken cat food as they like it. However the only all chicken on in the Ultimates range (Digestive health.. tender chicken in broth) they won't touch, except to lap up the broth bit. :rolleyes2:

I often feed them the basic fancy feast (the chicken). It's often mentioned by TCS members as one of the good ones as it isn't full of grain.

For some reason mine won't eat the Dine Desire chicken range.

If you can get it on special, I think the wellness range is pretty good.

GeorgTep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi G GeorgTep and welcome to TCS!

Yes the Ultimates range is just in Australia. It comes from Safcol, the seafood company. I'm not wild about a seafood diet for cats, although I do give them some as a treat or mix some in with their chicken cat food as they like it. However the only all chicken on in the Ultimates range (Digestive health.. tender chicken in broth) they won't touch, except to lap up the broth bit. :rolleyes2:

I often feed them the basic fancy feast (the chicken). It's often mentioned by TCS members as one of the good ones as it isn't full of grain.

For some reason mine won't eat the Dine Desire chicken range.

If you can get it on special, I think the wellness range is pretty good.
That's actually really interesting. I just went into woolworths and the price for Ultimates is a lot more expensive than the rest.
It's difficult to know what fussy cats will like so i'll have to give it all a test.

What are your thoughts of on foods from Petbarn, for example: IAMS

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you mean dry food?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't speak to the first two brands, but my boys love Fancy Feast pates, and for my budget it's the best I can afford. And the ingredients are fairly good (in the canned version, not dry food) compared to other canned foods of similar price.

GeorgTep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't speak to the first two brands, but my boys love Fancy Feast pates, and for my budget it's the best I can afford. And the ingredients are fairly good (in the canned version, not dry food) compared to other canned foods of similar price.
Do they prefer just the standard Fancy Feast or Fancy Feast Royale? i've heard a lot of negative responses again over the Royale range

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been fed Fancy Feast classic wet all of his 2 and a half years. He has never had a throw up and his coat is so shiny black. He loves it and highly recommends it!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
sorry I meant wet food like Wellness or Royal Canin etc.
You mention IAMS.. It's not one I've tried with mine as I wasn't wild about the ingredients. It might be worth a go, though. Petbarn has them on special, online, at the moment.

Do they prefer just the standard Fancy Feast or Fancy Feast Royale? i've heard a lot of negative responses again over the Royale range
I'd agree with that. The standard one is fine, and a lot cheaper! :)

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never actually heard of the Royale variety. My boys just like the classic pate. The chicken one and beef one are their favorites.

GeorgTep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can find, the Royale line is for supplemental feeding only, not a complete food, equivalent to the broths and the kind in those crazy tiny trays (I forget the name) in the US. So, yeah, stick to the regular kind, the classic pate type is best.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
From what I can find, the Royale line is for supplemental feeding only, not a complete food, equivalent to the broths and the kind in those crazy tiny trays (I forget the name) in the US. So, yeah, stick to the regular kind, the classic pate type is best.
Yes, and G GeorgTep , take care with the Applaws range too.. they're the same. Expensive, but supplemental only (no Taurine). It's mainly sold in Coles.