Cat Food Without Fish

Le0nard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat with a very bad fish/shellfish allergy. I was previously feeding Instinct Original beef, and he was doing very well on it. However they just changed the recipe and added fish oil.

Can anyone recommend a canned food without fish/shellfish products? Seems to be a unicorn and impossible to find.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
against the grain has some poultry that does not have fish oils, and almo nature has a few complete chicken food with no fish oil. Rawz has a beef without fish oils, and i think wellness core does too. nutro perfect portions beef do not. Chicken soup has a beef stew that does not. Health Extensions beef does not. hound& gatos has a beef, a rabbit, and a lamb that has no fish or oils.

Last edited:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently discovered Open Nature at Safeway. It's not great but it's not awful. At $0.80 per 5.5 oz can it's not bad. I haven't tried it yet but the Chicken&Beef can I grabbed has no fish in it. It may be worth checking out. Some Whole Earth Farms flavors also have no fish or fish oil, as do some PureVita, Ziwi Peak, Nutri Source, FirstMate, I'm sure there's more out there. Again, it's not all flavors and I haven't tried all these foods, I just looked around a bit at ingredient lists for various poultry or novelty protein flavors.

I did just notice that she has a shellfish allergy as well, and I believe at least one fond in the list had mussels.

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not a canned food but Stella and Chewy chick, chick, chicken doesn't. It is freeze dried and reconstituted with water. One of my cats is very sensitive to fish but not allergic so I found that helped.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t know how often the site owner updates the data, but I’ve found the following website useful for research purposes: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat I don’t use it for its “best of” listings. I use it to check ingredients (which is where you might find it handy as a starting point) as well as protein, carb, and fat info. Dozens of brands of both canned and dry are listed. You might narrow down your search there and then read the labels in the store to make sure nothing has changed.

Before I began making the cats’ food I was feeding Rawz 96% Chicken & Chicken Liver Pâté, Rawz 96% Turkey & Turkey Liver Pâté, and Weruva Paw Lickin’ Chicken. No fish or fish oil in any of them—at least as of last November—and they’re all higher protein and low carb. FYI, Rawz is very pricey.

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how often the site owner updates the data, but I’ve found the following website useful for research purposes: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat I don’t use it for its “best of” listings. I use it to check ingredients (which is where you might find it handy as a starting point) as well as protein, carb, and fat info. Dozens of brands of both canned and dry are listed. You might narrow down your search there and then read the labels in the store to make sure nothing has changed.

Before I began making the cats’ food I was feeding Rawz 96% Chicken & Chicken Liver Pâté, Rawz 96% Turkey & Turkey Liver Pâté, and Weruva Paw Lickin’ Chicken. No fish or fish oil in any of them—at least as of last November—and they’re all higher protein and low carb. FYI, Rawz is very pricey.
Thank you so much for the link. I found answers to questions I have had and now see why Stella and Chewy was ignoring my emails. I will not be ordering their food again.