Cat Food Suppliers - Ireland

jolo84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

I recently moved to Dublin with my two cats and I'm struggling to find a good place to buy their food from.

Does anyone know of a good Irish pet food supplier? Right now I'm just giving them Felix pouches with some Royal Cacin dry food but the aim is to wean them off the dry food and switch to a low carb/high animal fat wet food. I've been looking at the cat food nutrition chart on The Cat Site and I was thinking to try and get hold of either the Sheba Perfect Portions or Fancy Feast Natural but I'm struggling to find either of these. If anyone has a suggestion of where I could buy them or any other decent brand of wet food I'd really appreciate it. I'm happy to buy online from the UK too if that's easier.

Thanks in advance.

Jo ( on behalf of Charlie Rascal and Chloe)

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi jolo84, I live just outside of Dublin. My cat isn't the biggest fan of wet food so I'm not an expert by any means - but I have to say that I do like the two brands I've below, Wilderness is Maxizoo's own brand, and Mac's is Petstop's - both are grain free and have a high meat content.

The second photo is a small sample of the wet foods I've tried to get my cat to eat - ranging from the higher end to the "junk food" - I think I got all of them in the petshops above.

The Petstop I go to is in Carrickmines and the Maxizoo is Bray but I'm sure all their chains supply the same food.

As LTS3 mentioned, I think Zooplus is popular but I've never used it myself before.

IMAG2358~2.jpg
IMG_20170924_162328.jpg

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're open to online ordering, Zooplus is great. I get almost all my cat (and dog) food from there. As far as brands go, these are the ones I feed (in no particular order):-
  • Bozita (my guys like the large terra packs best)
  • Animonda Carny
  • Animonda vom Feinstein (patés only)
  • Catz Finefood
  • Thrive Complete (veg-free varieties only)
  • Smilla (haven't tried the tetra packs yet - the pouches are their favourite)
  • Feringa
  • Catz Finefood Purrr
  • GranataPet
  • My Star
Some are better quality than others (named muscle meat vs meat & meat by products) and the prices vary from cheap(ish) to luxury, but all are decent foods imo. There are a few other good brands that I don't feed because my guys don't like them enough to justify the price point (eg Lily's Kitchen; Terra Faelis; Meowing Heads).

As far as other stores go, do you have Pets at Home in Ireland? (I'm in England ;) ). If you do, look for :-
  • Nature's Menu
  • Purely Holistic
  • Aatu
  • Wainwrights
  • HiLife Tempt Me (in jelly)/It's Only Natural (Tempt Me is being discontinued - Its Only Natural is the replacement ;) )
  • Forthglade
My guys don't like all of these, but they're all good quality foods.

Onto UK supermarkets:-
  • Tesco Finest trays (in jelly only)
  • Sheba trays (in jelly only)
  • Butchers Classic cans
  • Sainsbury's Delicious (in jelly only)
  • Asda Tiger trays (pate only)
  • Sheba Fresh Choice (in jelly only)

If menory serves, these are all high meat and grain/vegetable by product free. Hope that helps :winkcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jolo84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow thanks for all of the info guys, that's really helpful. It's hard to know where to start sometimes in a new city but you've given me plenty of good leads. I do love the idea of online shopping as it's so hassle free! Will have to give it a try. Great to find out about Maxizoo and Petstop too as I haven't heard of them before.

Sadly we don't have Pets at Home (as far as I know) but I am over in the UK a fair bit and I do sometimes grab a few bits whilst I'm there!

That's great to know that some of the Tesco/Sheba trays are good quality too, I'm not great at reading the labels.

We're having a few issues with weight here so I really want to get them onto something high quality whilst I try and get them to drop a few pounds!

Thanks again for your help, looking forward to trying the new foods!

Last edited:

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best of luck! I don't think we've a Pets at Home here either, at least I've never come across one, but hopefully you've been pointed in the right direction for other places. I must try online ordering myself - I like the idea of hassle free choices!

Let us know if anything else crops up!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I said Pets at Home because it's the easiest place I know to get the foods I listed there. The only Pets at Home own brands are Purely Holistic and Wainwrights. The other brands listed can be got elsewhere too ;)

Amazon is worth checking out for cat food too, especially for any brand they offer on Subscribe & Save.

Cat food labels cat get really confusing. I look for meat as the first ingredient: this will be named muscle meat in the more expensive brands, and 'meat and meat by products' in cheaper brands. The cheapest may list 'meat and animal derivatives', which I'm ok with as part of a brand rotation (especially if it means I can afford to include some really good foods too). I avoid 'vegetable derivatives'/'derivatives of vegetable origin', unnamed 'grains' or 'cereals' and 'sugars'/'various sugars'. I don't mind tiny amouts of rice or named veggies (squash/pumpkin/herbs etc) in the expensive foods (unless they're whole, visible veggies, as my guys refuse to eat it then ;) ). Hopefully that clarifies things for you :)

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another Dubliner here!
As the others have said, Maxizoo or Zooplus.ie are great and very reliable.

I use Zooplus for the big monthly purchase, but it usually takes a week or so to arrive, orders are dispatched from Netherlands. If I'm short on food or litter, I go to local stores like the Maxizoo ones (The Maxizoo XXL in Leopardstown is great) or, if you're near the city center, Shauna's Pet Shop, in Capel St, is very well stocked.

Petstop and Baumanns are good too, some of my co-workers buy from there and they are very happy.

Good luck, and welcome to Dublin!!