Cat food shortage

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@beautiful_cat

Yes, there are sellers price gouging 🤑

For food, if your cat liked the beef pates but has gone off - take a break of a few days to a week and then try again. My guys will sometimes decide they don't want a food previously liked, so I wait a bit.
I know at the moment it is harder but try to feed a bit of variety to keep from food boredom.

Try local independent pet stores as well. Look online to see if any near you that you do not know about. Search under 'pet stores near me'.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote
I am not sure where you are located but often shipping is free from abroad on sellers like Zooplus if you order a certain amount. They also have rewards schemes.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use to buy all my wet cat food from local PetSuppliesPlus store but since Covid their shelves are very slim pickings for the brand my 12 cats will eat…so I started buying from Chewy and am very pleased with them. Once you create an account and if the brand you’re looking for is out of stock, Chewy will email you once it’s back in stock….when I get the email I usually stock up to make sure my babies always have food. I try to keep ahead of things…I also always check the grocery store pet aisle when I’m shopping. In between I’ve given them regular can tuna (in water), even small jars of baby food (with no onions etc)
I know this doesn’t help much if you can’t find the brand they eat but maybe try some dry til you can get cans.
Have you tried pouches?
its outrageous some companies take advantage of people and raise prices so high….

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beatiful_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shelters will generally take unused treats if they are sealed. Some will take open ones, it just depends. I'm not surprised your cat doesn't like minnows though. Most cats that aren't used to freeze-dried or raw food will reject these kinds of treats at first.

I'm not a fish expert but I would say most are probably not good to feed consistently. Cats evolved from carnivorous desert dwellers.

It's okay, I think a lot of us have been feeling the same way lately. Covid and the aluminum shortages have had a big impact on cat food. It's very unfortunate. Hopefully you can find something that works. There are a number of articles/tutorials on introducing a bigger variety of food into your cat's diet that you may find helpful. I would definitely suggest taking it slowly and maybe not start with beef. A lot of cats don't really care for it. You typically find more luck with poultry and rabbit.

[/URL]
This one is mainly referring to kibble but the process is relatively the same.

Jackson Galaxy also has numerous really helpful videos on the topic as well like this one.
Thank you for the video!