Cat Food Recommendations

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

My cat is a 12 year old male 9 lbs tuxedo cat and we are having some trouble with his food lately. When we first got him, he got a pretty intense case of urethral crystals but we took him to the vet and got treatment and the vet suggested us to stop giving him dry food at all and only stick with wet food. He loves pate so that’s normally what I always feed him he doesn’t really care for other cat food. I also try to feed him quality cat food such as Sheba, iams, etc. Recently, we moved him out of the house he’s lived in all his life and the stress made the crystals come back. Luckily we were proactive and got him treatment right away so he didn’t even have to go on antibiotics this time. After the whole ordeal the vet recommended that I keep him on the Hill’s prescription diet food for c/d urinary care. He was fine with that because the food does come in pate form and they offer two different flavors. Things were good for a while but lately he will throw up the food occasionally (about once a week) and I tried to brush it off but it doesn’t seem to be stopping so of course I became concerned. I read some reviews about the hills food and apparently a lot of people have had problems with the quality of this food. People have been finding metal shavings and whatever else in this food. Although the food is in fact helpful for any urinary troubles, it may end up causing other health problems in the future. This is why I’ve been thinking of taking him off this food but now I need to figure out another brand of food that offers pate that is overall nutritious for him and doesn’t give him any health problems. I might have been able to ignore the reviews but my cat has been throwing up so clearly something in the food is not sitting right with him. He has never been one to eat too fast or eat too much and he rarely used to throw up. I would love it if you guys could put your own recommendations of quality food and help me figure out a good brand that my cat can enjoy. Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure I can really help you, but I will try to make a couple of suggestions. Although, Feeby (14+), is on Hill's C/D (dry and wet), she is having no issues with it. I also feed her Royal Canin SO (dry and wet) - but, I don't think we have a pate form of either nearby me. She has been on both brands for 8 years since her bladder surgery for stones. As far as I know she is still stone free.

The other urinary care food that I haven't tried but have heard about is Purina (also, both dry and wet).

While there may be something going on with Hill's, I am thinking you should have your guy checked out for possible other reasons for him throwing up. Has he had a senior check up - including a full senior blood panel - recently? It might be worth it to have one done.

There will be other members who, I am sure, will have some food ideas for you that will read your post soon. I believe some will even tell you if you are giving him some of the better quality foods, that specific urinary care food might not be necessary.

For me, I am going to stick with what has been working for Feeby - but I can see why you are interested in making a change. I would just to rule out other things that might be the actual cause of the vomiting.