Cat food puzzle type toys

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

First time cat owner here. I appreciate all of your help, education and guidance for the topics I needed help with. You are great! 😊.

Zoom, my 5 month old kitten (got him in November 2022) is a domestic short-haired cat.

I am trying to do research on things and a cat food puzzle toy looked interesting to develop his brain and stimulate it more.

Has anyone used this? How are they to work with?
What type did you choose? Any links?
What food items can be put in them? Their regular dry food or just treats?
If regular food, does this not irritate them as they are not eating in 1 sitting but have to figure the toy out just to get some kibble?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got this one and my boys love it. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0872J3XV9/?tag=

there are loads of DIY enrichment out there.
As he's only 5 months, if you can afford to do so, I would recommend two things:
1. Pet insurance - even the lowest rank of pet insurance. One that includes a bit of dental if you can.
2. A similar aged cat friend. Make sure your cat is neutered first, and that the new cat is spayed/neutered. In many places they'll come from a rescue with all their first shots and their surgery completed.

Cats, especially young ones live best in pairs or small groups. It is a myth that they are solo creatures (though the odd one is!). The best enrichment you can give is a playmate. They'll learn from one another and enjoy doing all those enrichment things together. Check out some of the forum posts for introducing two kittens to each other if you decide to do this. 🐱

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ty!
Yes he is neutered already, last month. He acted like nothing ever happened...
And yes, already have pet insurance 😊

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ty!
Yes he is neutered already, last month. He acted like nothing ever happened...
And yes, already have pet insurance 😊
Awesome!

Let us know what works and what doesn't for your cat as you try it and people can give more ideas if you want.

I gave in after about a year and got our young cat another young cat 😂

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

First time cat owner here. I appreciate all of your help, education and guidance for the topics I needed help with. You are great! 😊.

Zoom, my 5 month old kitten (got him in November 2022) is a domestic short-haired cat.

I am trying to do research on things and a cat food puzzle toy looked interesting to develop his brain and stimulate it more.

Has anyone used this? How are they to work with?
What type did you choose? Any links?
What food items can be put in them? Their regular dry food or just treats?
If regular food, does this not irritate them as they are not eating in 1 sitting but have to figure the toy out just to get some kibble?
Trixie puzzles! Freeze dried treats or cut up greenie treats
Also get wand toys like go cat catcher with a mouse,chew toys, clicker train,so much to do! Also verticle or square scratch postl
20200320_112425.jpg
Have fun!
20220830_234418.jpg

Last edited: