Cat Food Meals For Humans?

Would you eat human grade cat food?

• Total voters

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Imagine yourself eating the same foods that are cat food ingredients. As in chicken, peas, rice, potatoes, etc. The only difference would be the added nutrients (which we and cats don't need in the same percentage amounts). I know there is a restaurant in New York City that does this and actually feeds the cats.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not because it would have no seasoning or spices and would just be a weird combination of ingredients. Plus I don’t even feed my cats foods with potatoes, rice, or peas so I probably wouldn’t eat that food either. And I definitely wouldn’t eat their raw food for the obvious reason.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I said before, some of the human grade foods look and smell good enough to eat.
It depends on the manufacturer and my trust in the company and what their definition of "human grade" is!
IIRC the Honest Kitchen does taste test foods but this could be old info...
I wouldn't eat my cats raw food meals, but I'd eat some of it (meat and maybe organs, depending) cooked, and the bones I'd happily boil down to bone broth and drink it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of poor/ homeless people who eat actual canned pet food :/. And they don't die. But ick. Although I do have to say that my dogs' canned food (Nature's Domain turkey stew) smells better than Dinty Moore turkey stew. . .and Evo chicken and turkey canned food smells like something I'd want to smear on crackers. I've resisted the urge so far though :D.

If it's human-grade, why wouldn't I eat it? Unless it was something I don't like.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of poor/ homeless people who eat actual canned pet food :/. And they don't die. But ick. Although I do have to say that my dogs' canned food (Nature's Domain turkey stew) smells better than Dinty Moore turkey stew. . .and Evo chicken and turkey canned food smells like something I'd want to smear on crackers. I've resisted the urge so far though :D.

If it's human-grade, why wouldn't I eat it? Unless it was something I don't like.
IDK how it is now but when we fed a sick dog Merrick Petite plates I swore that stuff slapped into a pie crust with a bit of salt and pepper would have made a butt kicking chicken/turkey pot pie...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, a few years ago we made a simple chicken/vegetable blend, and canned it, as a suitable emergency food for pets and people in a dire emergency.
It was tasty.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever we try a different food for the cats, yes, I'll try it. :paperbag::paperbag: I want to be able to tell them that the food is OK. I'm a little weird that way. When we switched over to the Royal Canin renal failure cat food cans for Pepe, I tried a little morsel. I gagged my way through it and said, "Have fun with this, sweetie!". I won't lie to them. And the pate is just pasty. Ugh.

Same with meds, esp the liquid meds. How can I tell a cat that it's OK if I don't know that it is? When we first tried liquid theophylline for Banshee, I was able to honestly tell her that I thought it tasted like unsweetened maple syrup.....kind of.

And I know, I know, they don't get it. But it makes me feel better, I guess.

Could I actually eat cat food regularly? No. (Although the cashiers at our grocery store may think we do!)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My s/l tries her cats food to be sure it taste all right. She is a little strange. I would never ever do that.

I am sure the cashier thinks I eat cat food because I buy so much canned cat food but I never buy meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
My s/l tries her cats food to be sure it taste all right. She is a little strange. I would never ever do that.

I am sure the cashier thinks I eat cat food because I buy so much canned cat food but I never buy meat.
No, she thinks you are a vegetarian with too many cats.

Nursemike3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I eat a lot of salmon and tuna, sometimes raw. I like stinky cheese. I rarely eat carbs except veggies. No special diet, just a matter of taste. My cats like the same stuff. I used to live near the Purina Factory in Flagstaff, AZ, and sometimes when I was outdoors, the smell coming from the huge smokestack would make me sick to my stomach even if I had eaten nothing. Horrible, horrible smell of burning pet food. I can understand why kibble has carcinogens in it.