Cat Food For Chihuahua?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So some of you know that I'm a raw feeder, which means I really don't keep up on commercial foods.

However, I had a conversation about pet foods with a friend who has recently rescued a little chihuahua (named Zoey). The poor thing was very emaciated and she's trying to put some weight and build muscle on it. She's feeding Science Diet, dry, can't remember what formula.

My friend thinks Zoey may be constipated because she strains to poop. My response was that most SD dry is full of corn and fillers, which bulk up the poop, so that may be a factor. I also mentioned that she could try feeding wet cat food, as it usually has extra taurine and protein which would be good for building muscle.

My friend also has a couple cats, so the conversation naturally turned to what they are eating (more SD). She knows that I'm a raw feeder, so I simply reiterated that my philosophy for cats is "high protein, low grains, wet foods" are best; oh, and stay away from menadione and carrageenan.

Now she wants a list...
And I'm at a loss...
Because I'm a raw feeder... lol

Can y'all help me out?

Last edited:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What did you feed your cats before switching them to a raw diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding a raw diet for about a decade...
Anything I fed back then would not be helpful now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL I see your dilemma
At Walmart, take a look at GoodLife, PureBalance and Special Kitty and also Delectables treat pouches. If you have a King Soopers, they have Pet Pride pouches, Sheba including meaty sticks for treats, Luvsome and Abound. These are decent foods.
Then there is Merrick Backcountry, Caru, Koha, LifesAbundance, Tikicat, Nulo…
and a website database I like, although it doesn't have menadione as an item but a person can always check in the ingredient list (also as Vitamin K3) for it which is a good idea in any case, even at different varieties within a brand.
Pet Food Guide

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a grocery store, however any grocery store will likely have their own "house" brands, and there's also tractor supply where a person can order online or purchase in-store. Their Paws and Claws, and 4Health brands are decent.
Also, speaking of, online cat food retailers where a person can order just a few cans at a time are Only Natural Pet (this company has their own line plus they sell others), The Big Bad Woof (general retailer), and also Koha (only Koha) and Lifesabundance (only this brand).

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, is she feeding science diet for cats or for dogs? If for cats, she may need to run it by a vet to verify that's going to work long term?

Edit: Please disregard. I read the post and found out she has cats also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How about probiotics? I'm thinking that if she is going to be changing foods, some probiotics might help with the transition.
I've personally had good results with Dr. Mercola's Complete Pet Probiotics, but any other faves out there?