Cat Food Deals Forum?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty disgusted with the cost of cat food especially the wet foods. I’ve been trying to get my cats off of Friskies but with no luck..The price has almost doubled! I used to be able to get the 5.5 cans sometimes on sale for $.46 a can now it cost anywhere from $.78-$.80 and sometimes they have a sign up saying if you buy certain number of cans, you can get a penny off a can, wow. !
Even the fancy feast little cans have gone up in price and they changed the ingredients now they have the fillers like veggies,rice that cats don’t eat normally just so they can make their big bucks..

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Amazon, it's usually that Amazon is out of stock of something for some reason, and it's 3rd party sellers that have the higher prices. Usually it is because they have to offer free shipping, and pet food is expensive to ship. They don't get the same contracted pricing that Amazon does, so the shipping is built into the price. Yes, it can cost $20-$40 to ship a 22 lb bag of cat food!

Sometimes, less common, it's because they know something is getting harder to find and they will increase pricing to take advantage of people that pay higher prices for things, whether that's willingly because they need the stuff, or unknowingly because they aren't paying attention.
It is always the second I think. No way shipping costs that much anyway. I see it done when things become scarce they start to price gouge and they think they can get away with it. And a lot of the time it is Amazon themselves that are doing it not private sellers. Then, when people refuse to pay that price which is so outrageous, it comes back down.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, although I almost never bought on Amazon before bc often chewy was cheaper. Only started last few years, often when a great deal is posted on a deals website I frequent.

I've also noticed more recently (past 6 months??) Amazon has been having more "sales" where they have a more expensive price crossed off so it looks like a really good sale, but it's not. Often when I check camelcamelcamel price tracking website it shows the price shot up (the price listed that is crossed off) for only a day or short period. 🙄 Seems they temporarily increase price high to be able to list it's "50%" discounted. (This site also allows one to sign up for email alerts if the price of an item drops a certain % or price point one can set. Does not account for coupons though and seems Amazon has much more coupon sales now than just lowering price.)

Cat food in general has also been pricy the past few years. As someone who buys wet food close to 50 cents per 3 ounces, it's harder to find sales the past year or two within that range.

While I used to buy on Chewy exclusively, most of my cat food buys are from Amazon now. I follow a deals website that emails me when a deal is posted in the cat food section.

I'm really bummed most of recent chewy sales (past couple years) are receive gift card with purchase (which you cannot use a gift card to make these purchases) or get a free toy or treat. Doesn't make it a good deal for me.

Petco and PetSmart also have first time auto ship deals I find helpful, often available on each new item or each different flavor/variety. I've been using this at times when an item is on sale and also offers an auto ship discount.
The real terrible price gouging began during and after the pandemic, and it hasn’t stopped…it is getting worse. before that it was natural increase. for instance I used to buy a 24 case of fussy cat for about $26-29 then all of a sudden it jumped up to 40 and then 50! That’s when I stopped buying it. I will never buy it again now. I’ve been buying a freeze dried raw furry wonders, and I’m afraid the same thing is going to happen with that now because all of a sudden it’s not available on the subscription anymore. Quinn had finally started liking it, but I’m not sure if he does anymore because the past two days he didn’t eat it as much.

I got the fussie cat at chewy first but then I think it increased there first and or became scarce so I switched to Amazon, and then the same thing happened at Amazon. Plus at chewy I have to order more to get free shipping. At Amazon I get it long as it’s a prime item. It was never cheaper at Chewy though.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty disgusted with the cost of cat food especially the wet foods. I’ve been trying to get my cats off of Friskies but with no luck..The price has almost doubled! I used to be able to get the 5.5 cans sometimes on sale for $.46 a can now it cost anywhere from $.78-$.80 and sometimes they have a sign up saying if you buy certain number of cans, you can get a penny off a can, wow. !
Even the fancy feast little cans have gone up in price and they changed the ingredients now they have the fillers like veggies,rice that cats don’t eat normally just so they can make their big bucks..
Terrible- the quality goes down and price goes up. A penny, wow😹😿

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there, deals can still be found. Don't forget to check your Nextdoor .com neighborhood site in their for sale and free section and also Tractor Supply, etc.
I had to get off of Nextdoor because it was so crazy but maybe I will see if they have one and reactivate it. I’m not sure if we have a tractor supply in my state near me anyway. Plus another reason I got off of Nextdoor was because they broadcast your location!

* just checked tractor supply website, there is one in the area but not too close…. Wbcl is more expensive there than at amazon. It’s a little under a dollar a pound on my subscribe. Also 30 lb bag of original mewo mix is 28.48 at walmart about 94c a pound vs 31.49 at tractor supply. I usually get a 24 lb bag at bjs is 21.49, but they are always out of it lately. One store has it but it’s further away. I may be driving there later or I may try to get somebody to help me at Walmart since the person who’s helping me is going to go to sleep soon and I was not feeling well today to get out earlier.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw at Amazon that fancy feast grain free cans have some very low prices so I added some to my order... instead of another grain free canned I was trying. It was 21 for 24 cans on regular shipping and about 25 for 30 cans on subscription.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the start of october petco is having a buy one get one free for tiki cat food. If you buy a big bag of the cat food (30$ for 6lbs) you will get a variety pack for free and the packs ranged from 15-20$. And are a 12 pack
Oohh that's good to know!! I like Tiki cat but it so expensive!! Getting a free 12 pack would be awesome!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glacier Peak Holistics is having a flash (short term - ends Wednesday July 5) sale with coupon code JULY4

And also Only Natural Pet is having a sale which ends July 4.

Last edited:

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chewy has 25% off select Fancy Feast styles/flavors right now with the code WETCAT25. Up to $20 off (That means about 4 cases is your peak savings!). Offer valid for only once per account. They also have another 25% off code: KITTENWEEK. I used it on some Tiny Tiger lickables and I didn't explore the other products that it applies to. You cannot use both codes in the same order and only valid on one item and one account.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Chewy has 25% off select Fancy Feast styles/flavors right now with the code WETCAT25. Up to $20 off (That means about 4 cases is your peak savings!). Offer valid for only once per account. They also have another 25% off code: KITTENWEEK. I used it on some Tiny Tiger lickables and I didn't explore the other products that it applies to. You cannot use both codes in the same order and only valid on one item and one account.
Thank you for that info! 👍

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever ordered from Petsense and how was the experience? They have a wet food one of my cats eats for $41.99 instead of what Chewy charges at $47.49 if you do autoship. I know it's not a huge discount, but with 2 elderly cats with multiple health issues (and a 1 year old cat and 2 year old dog) every bit counts! It is a tractor supply store that appears to be mostly in the US South. We apparently have 2 in my state, but they're about a 4 hour drive from me at least. :lol: