Cat Food Deals Forum?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I didn't want to make an entire post about it. I often see reviews on Chewy or Petco, etc. where people say they were given a free sample. How are these people getting free samples of stuff? I've never once gotten a free sample of anything in a Chewy box and I have spent what feels like a zillion dollars with them over the years. I'm assuming they're signed up for some sort of free sample website or something. Does anyone have the scoop on this?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
[Q UOTE="Mac and Cats, post: 5639647, member: 10070071"]
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I didn't want to make an entire post about it. I often see reviews on Chewy or Petco, etc. where people say they were given a free sample. How are these people getting free samples of stuff? I've never once gotten a free sample of anything in a Chewy box and I have spent what feels like a zillion dollars with them over the years. I'm assuming they're signed up for some sort of free sample website or something. Does anyone have the scoop on this?
[/QUOTE]
I'm assuming they are emailing the company that makes the food. At least that's how I got a free sample once. Not all companies will do it

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if there's anything else involved with getting the deal, but Stella & Chewy are having a month long discount;

Freeze-dried:
  • $3 off 3.5oz Cat or Meal Mixers & 5.5oz Patties
  • $5 off 8oz Cat or Meal Mixers & 14oz Patties
  • $7 off 18oz Cat Meal Mixers & 25oz Patties

• Frozen: All products 15% off

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
More like clearance than deal. But I stopped by Nnatural Paws. They had cute cat Christmas chew toys 75% off. Also rawz clearance because it was weeks from being out of date.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chewy is having a free $30 egift card when you spend $100. It only applies to certain foods, toys, and items but BFF, Weruva, and Tiny Tiger are included in this deal. There’s other food that’s included but those are the kinds I use and know of.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
woah that is very expensive for 12 packs at $39! Even on sale 50% off it is still pricey for me.
Each box is 6oz, so I figure it is essentially a 24 pack since I usually buy the 3oz cans. Didn't seem like a bad price to me at 50% off. For sure would not be buying it at full price though!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each box is 6oz, so I figure it is essentially a 24 pack since I usually buy the 3oz cans. Didn't seem like a bad price to me at 50% off. For sure would not be buying it at full price though!
yes that makes a difference, for a 24 pack not so bad at the sale price 😁

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only Natural Pet is having a site-wide sale with the code Earthday, and there are a couple of other discounts they have available.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chewy has 25% off some foods right now including some Weurva (Including the WX Phos Focus!), Tiki Cat, Nulo, Made by Nacho, Ziwi, Honest Kitchen and a few other fancy brands. Their search filter sucks for sales/deals though so you unfortunately have to just go through their entire wet or dry food selection and look for the green bar or just look up the foods you normally order. No code needed, it's taken off at checkout if you're logged in. One order per customer. Only until May 1st.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outrageous prices for all catfoods at amazon lately- has anybody noticed this? I have been getting meow mix for my outdoor now indoor guys since the pandemic and it was usually about $22 for a 22 pound bag. Before that it was closer to $17 everywhere. I have it on auto ship and did not get one this month.
I realized I was running out of it and I went to order another one and it was now $40-$60 for the same thing! So I’m going to have to get help and go to BJs or walmart where it seems to be pretty much the same price.

This also happened to me with foods I’m getting for my other kitties… that I buy them for a while on the subscribe and save and then all of a sudden it says it’s not available anymore, but you can still buy it as a one time purchase and it’s often raised by like $20!
I also noticed that other non-cat food items… if I buy them for a while either on subscribe and save or not… the price goes up eventually… it seems like as soon as you start buying something they eventually raise the price as much as they can. The result for me is I stop buying it there and get it somewhere else. Then eventually the price seems to go back down on many items too.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Outrageous prices for all catfoods at amazon lately- has anybody noticed this? I have been getting meow mix for my outdoor now indoor guys since the pandemic and it was usually about $22 for a 22 pound bag. Before that it was closer to $17 everywhere. I have it on auto ship and did not get one this month.
I realized I was running out of it and I went to order another one and it was now $40-$60 for the same thing! So I’m going to have to get help and go to BJs or walmart where it seems to be pretty much the same price.

This also happened to me with foods I’m getting for my other kitties… that I buy them for a while on the subscribe and save and then all of a sudden it says it’s not available anymore, but you can still buy it as a one time purchase and it’s often raised by like $20!
I also noticed that other non-cat food items… if I buy them for a while either on subscribe and save or not… the price goes up eventually… it seems like as soon as you start buying something they eventually raise the price as much as they can. The result for me is I stop buying it there and get it somewhere else. Then eventually the price seems to go back down on many items too.

For Amazon, it's usually that Amazon is out of stock of something for some reason, and it's 3rd party sellers that have the higher prices. Usually it is because they have to offer free shipping, and pet food is expensive to ship. They don't get the same contracted pricing that Amazon does, so the shipping is built into the price. Yes, it can cost $20-$40 to ship a 22 lb bag of cat food!

Sometimes, less common, it's because they know something is getting harder to find and they will increase pricing to take advantage of people that pay higher prices for things, whether that's willingly because they need the stuff, or unknowingly because they aren't paying attention.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, although I almost never bought on Amazon before bc often chewy was cheaper. Only started last few years, often when a great deal is posted on a deals website I frequent.

I've also noticed more recently (past 6 months??) Amazon has been having more "sales" where they have a more expensive price crossed off so it looks like a really good sale, but it's not. Often when I check camelcamelcamel price tracking website it shows the price shot up (the price listed that is crossed off) for only a day or short period. 🙄 Seems they temporarily increase price high to be able to list it's "50%" discounted. (This site also allows one to sign up for email alerts if the price of an item drops a certain % or price point one can set. Does not account for coupons though and seems Amazon has much more coupon sales now than just lowering price.)

Cat food in general has also been pricy the past few years. As someone who buys wet food close to 50 cents per 3 ounces, it's harder to find sales the past year or two within that range.

While I used to buy on Chewy exclusively, most of my cat food buys are from Amazon now. I follow a deals website that emails me when a deal is posted in the cat food section.

I'm really bummed most of recent chewy sales (past couple years) are receive gift card with purchase (which you cannot use a gift card to make these purchases) or get a free toy or treat. Doesn't make it a good deal for me.

Petco and PetSmart also have first time auto ship deals I find helpful, often available on each new item or each different flavor/variety. I've been using this at times when an item is on sale and also offers an auto ship discount.