Cat Food Allergies

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. So my cat had a bad allergic reaction about 2 months ago and I finally figured out that he is allergic to the chicken and beef flavors now. I have been feeding him the fancy feast fish flavored wet cat food now, but I read some articles claiming fish is bad for cats. I need a safe alternative for my kitties that isn't super expensive, so can anyone recommend anything that is close to the price of Fancy Feast? It's about 15 dollars for 25 3oz cans.

Thanks for any help!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! Beef and chicken, ouch. Chicken is one of those sneaky ones in most cheaper foods to save cost. And a cat with a chicken problem might develop a general poultry problem. The problem with fish is that you can't ensure the quality of the fish being used which means it could be not fit for human consumption due to Mercury levels or other chemicals. Just like doctors recommend limiting fish for pregnant women we tend to recommend limiting fish for cats to prevent a build up of harmful chemicals or metals. I do feed my cats fish regularly but they get maybe 3 ounces worth in the entire week so I am not worried about the small levels. I wouldn't feed them more though.

Wysong Epigen Rabbit Formula Grain-Free Canned Dog, Cat & Ferret Food

This was the best I could find for the cost without beef or chicken. It is for dogs and cats and I don't see taurine on the table BUT the company's says it meet cats needs according to standards. Which probably means they use whole rabbit so the bone content may be high as a result. I don't feed it so not personal experience there.

This is another one that may be in the price range Hound & Gatos Rabbit Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food. This one I have heard of and people here tend to report that cats either love it or hate it.

I also have food allergy issues with my cats (poultry specifically) we feed Nature's Variety Instinct rabbit, but the price point is higher.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the thread on novel proteins: Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food

Aso check out limited ingredient diets:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Nature's Variety Instinct
Natural Balance LID

The Rawz canned turkey might be an option if your cat isn't allergic to all poultry: RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food This brand is expensive, though, a little over $2 for a 5.5 oz can and only independent pet stores and online stores sell it.

Seafood is ok once in awhile as a meal or treat but a no-no for everyday because some cats get addicted to eating it and will refuse everything else, it may cause urinary issues in some cats, some types of fish may contain mercury, etc. Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet?

A raw or home cooked diet may be options. There's a forum here on TCS to discuss those diets and how to make sure the diet is nutritionally balanced. You don't have to buy expensive commerical brands or spend hours in the kitchen making food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro Natural Choice also has some canned foods that are mostly turkey, with a little pork: our cats love Nutro food. Rawz is a favorite, too, and the cats also like Wellness Core's turkey/duck food. Those brands are more expensive than Fancy Feast but at least they're not super-high in price.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit more on cat food now...yikes. Thanks a lot for your help!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit more on cat food now...yikes. Thanks a lot for your help!
I know, good cat food isn't cheap and limitations like no chicken, can complicate things. I'm not sure where you live but if you have independent pet food stores nearby, be sure to ask them about their loyalty programs and buying by the case. Most of the stores where I live have some sort of program: 10% off for buying a lot of cans (not necessarily the exact same thing) at once, money that accrues into discounts, buy 12 bags get 1 free, etc. I buy at a lot of places and everybody has some sort of offer!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who can't have chicken, turkey, or fish and also needs grain free. Yikes! Check out chewy.com. Cheaper brands I've found are Natural Balance, Dave's, and
Redbarn Naturals.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat developed an allergy to Nutro, I don't know why. I feed him Rawz, and I'm trying new stuff to switch around. I tried Merrick, but I saw then that cans have carrageenan in them! Apparently it's toxic and inflammatory. If you go to a local pet store in your area, you should be able to find more indie brands that are healthier. I know it's a budget--but it's worth it! Do you feed dry or wet? It's easier to try foods with wet, because you don't need to transition as seriously as with dry food. I'm currently trying Tiki cat, which is a little less expensive than Rawz, but should be the same kind of quality.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who can't have chicken, turkey, or fish and also needs grain free. Yikes! Check out chewy.com. Cheaper brands I've found are Natural Balance, Dave's, and
Redbarn Naturals.
Some of those brands mentioned may work out, and they work out to be a similar price because you are paying for a larger can. Some Redbarn even has 12 oz cans which you get even more for less. buying 3 oz cans you usually pay more per ounce.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat can only eat rabbit but I have started mixing in duck with no problem. Shes loosing her taste buds! Glad I saw this thread. These brands are extremely cheaper

MaggieLopez98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was so helpful!! I just adopted a cat they were going to put down because she has chronic diarrhea and seemingly no reason why. I'm thinking she just has IBD, and going off of chicken will be our first step to see what she might be allergic to. I've been looking everywhere for a diet that was both grain free and didn't have poultry, and it was oddly difficult (until I found this). Hooray! I hope this works!

Try the thread on novel proteins: Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food

Aso check out limited ingredient diets:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Nature's Variety Instinct
Natural Balance LID

The Rawz canned turkey might be an option if your cat isn't allergic to all poultry: RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food This brand is expensive, though, a little over $2 for a 5.5 oz can and only independent pet stores and online stores sell it.

Seafood is ok once in awhile as a meal or treat but a no-no for everyday because some cats get addicted to eating it and will refuse everything else, it may cause urinary issues in some cats, some types of fish may contain mercury, etc. Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet?

A raw or home cooked diet may be options. There's a forum here on TCS to discuss those diets and how to make sure the diet is nutritionally balanced. You don't have to buy expensive commerical brands or spend hours in the kitchen making food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat developed an allergy to Nutro, I don't know why. I feed him Rawz, and I'm trying new stuff to switch around. I tried Merrick, but I saw then that cans have carrageenan in them! Apparently it's toxic and inflammatory. If you go to a local pet store in your area, you should be able to find more indie brands that are healthier. I know it's a budget--but it's worth it! Do you feed dry or wet? It's easier to try foods with wet, because you don't need to transition as seriously as with dry food. I'm currently trying Tiki cat, which is a little less expensive than Rawz, but should be the same kind of quality.
I am going to try Merrick limited ingredient duck. It has no carageenan in it

4Puns&Honor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have Amazon Prime? I've found that alot of the alternative protein foods are at a better price on there than in stores. You will still pay more than something like Friskies, but the overall quality is (probably) higher.

Mudbay also has a free 3 can/day trial if you want to explore your brand and protein options without biting too deeply into your wallet initially.

Duck, venison, and rabbit are great options. Someone already listed Blue Buffalo and Merrick.

I also had good luck with Wellness, though many of them contain beef or chicken byproducts, so make sure to check the label if you do try them.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that will not eat wet food, except for fish. I too worry about the fish i feed him. unfortunately to buy high quality fish foods is expensive. I buy the more expensive brands for him, he loves Earthborn holistic, the catalina catch and the Monterrey medley, neither of which have any chicken or beef. he also likes several of the Weruva flavors, there are some tiki cat flavors, and Against the grain has some without chicken or beef, fish only. I feel that if i am going to feed him fish i need the best quality fish out there. i buy auto ship on chewy as that seems to be where i get the best prices. i also haunt the pet stores near us and look for sales on these brands. i also buy on All Natural Pet Products | Homeopathic Remedies for Cats | Only Natural Pet as you can buy only one or two cans if you want to try it out without investing in a whole case, and then have your cat hate it :( or sometimes just buy a few cans of a lot of different foods so he has variety.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! A few years back my cats had the same problem. The vet told us to try Purina One. We use the Salmon flavored one and it works great. It's a better price than some of the others. Good Luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just bought a can of Koha canned duck lid. She loved It! Found it at a small pet store. Anyone tried the chicken lid?