Cat Food Advice - Healthy Wet food

Argentin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have a 1 year 7 month old female and a 11-12 week old male. My vet highly recommended Purina Pro Plan but I've seen a lot of reviews that make me wonder if that's really the best option. We feed them two wet meals during the day then leave dry when we go to bed. He gets however much he'll eat but she is on a slight diet, I think she stole his food too often and got fat :bat: We keep his food in his separate area now but she still tries to sneak in when we forget to close the door.

She refused to eat both Open Farm and Wellness food, did a full hunger strike. Currently she eats Weruva mixed with Purina Pro Plan since I've had a hard time finding what I need for a decent price and in stock. As I mentioned in the pet health section, she also has acne on her chin so I tried sensitive skin formulas as well but they didn't help much if at all.

He is even more picky than her. Long stringy pieces of meat? nope. Texture is strange? nope. He'll eat certain types of Weruva like a lil piggy and others he'll let sit till he's starving then begrudgingly eat it. He'll eat the Purina Pro Plan kitten food fine (the kinds we've tried so far), but I tried Blue Buffalo kitten and he scratched the floor trying to cover it then went to take a nap rather than eat.

Any other brands I should check out that aren't overly expensive?

*I heard growling then looked over to find them both with their fur all messy and looking angry, both stopped to look at me then turned and lunged back at each other :smash: cats*

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have a 1 year 7 month old female and a 11-12 week old male. My vet highly recommended Purina Pro Plan but I've seen a lot of reviews that make me wonder if that's really the best option.
Simple rule is to follow your cat's liking. Feed them whatever they like and sometimes you have the best and most expensive food, they turn up their noes on them. This will give you less headaches.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she has chin acne, are you using a plastic bowl? I've seen cats that have an allergic reaction to the plastic.

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my vet recommended the same,like others have said if their eating keep it goin. dont do what i did , and started reviewing and researching food,itll drive you nuts. not sure why vets recommend a high phosphorus food.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have a 1 year 7 month old female and a 11-12 week old male. My vet highly recommended Purina Pro Plan but I've seen a lot of reviews that make me wonder if that's really the best option. We feed them two wet meals during the day then leave dry when we go to bed. He gets however much he'll eat but she is on a slight diet, I think she stole his food too often and got fat :bat: We keep his food in his separate area now but she still tries to sneak in when we forget to close the door.

She refused to eat both Open Farm and Wellness food, did a full hunger strike. Currently she eats Weruva mixed with Purina Pro Plan since I've had a hard time finding what I need for a decent price and in stock. As I mentioned in the pet health section, she also has acne on her chin so I tried sensitive skin formulas as well but they didn't help much if at all.

He is even more picky than her. Long stringy pieces of meat? nope. Texture is strange? nope. He'll eat certain types of Weruva like a lil piggy and others he'll let sit till he's starving then begrudgingly eat it. He'll eat the Purina Pro Plan kitten food fine (the kinds we've tried so far), but I tried Blue Buffalo kitten and he scratched the floor trying to cover it then went to take a nap rather than eat.

Any other brands I should check out that aren't overly expensive?

*I heard growling then looked over to find them both with their fur all messy and looking angry, both stopped to look at me then turned and lunged back at each other :smash: cats*
I recommend Nature's Logic and Tiki Cat. I suggest doing whatever you have to do to 1) get your cats off of dry food entirely, and 2) make them eat what you put before them whether they like it or not. Who's ruling the roost- you or the cats? Not trying to sound rude by saying that, but I'm just saying that especially when you're on a budget, do you really want to be a slave to your cats' preferences?

Cats that aren't sick know better than to starve themselves to death. Eventually, when they see that there is no other option, they will eat whatever they can get.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any of the Fancy Feast Pates (Classics) are fine, and they do have a kitten line as well.

I agree to feed them whatever they will eat and not worry too much about whether it is the best food for them or not. IMHO, wet food is better than dry, and I even add a little bit of filtered water to each meal to make sure they are well hydrated. I seldom see them at the water dish, but still give change out their water dish daily.