Cat Foaming at Mouth

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I have a 3 y.o orange tabby, and as a treat i take him out on the patio sometimes. I had him out there for about 10 minutes (I was out there monitoring him too), and as soon as he got back in, I thought he was just doing the zoomies. But he was doing this and drooling/foaming at the mouth. I quickly googled to see what could cause this and I'm betting my money he maybe ate a bug or maybe licked a cigar ash on the ground? I occasionally smoke cigars out there but haven't in a while.

Anyways, he was foaming, running around for a couple minutes, and now it has subsided. I'm keeping a watchful eye on him for a couple of hours, but I am about to go play a round of golf and will be gone for 5ish hours.

I'm a little on edge, but everything I have been googling seems like he just got into something and make him nauseous for a few minutes. No sporadic loss of movement or anything so I'm not leaning toward a seizure.

I guess I'm just looking for some comfort/solace that he will be fine. I'd hate to leave and him have another episode, but he seems completely normal now. Just hanging out chillaxing in his favorite box. Not falling asleep, but just kinda hanging out there. I think i even heard a few purrs out of him when i listen closely.

I'm putting on some calming music for him (and myself lol). But just curious on what you think he might of got into.

I do know that there was a wasp that landed on the patio right next to the sliding door, and as soon as i saw it i made him scurry inside. he got really close to it and the wasp flew away. I dont think he got stung...i dont see him licking anything excessive but im wondering if maybe they give off a scent too?

Not sure, any thoughts? Hopefully I'm just overly cautious.

Thanks,

Pop

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also...he never ended up vomiting or anything like that...just drooled for a couple mins then that subsided.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yep he is up to date with his vaccines

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
already ate some dry food and i went ahead and gave him some more wet food to soothe stomach and he gobbled it up. hes now moving around acting like nothing happened.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he starts drooling/foaming again.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he tried ot eat something like a toad. Those will make pets foam at the mouth.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm on a 3rd floor patio so not likely. Either way he seems to be getting ready to nap so looks like he's back to normal. Thanks guys!

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I have a 3 y.o orange tabby, and as a treat i take him out on the patio sometimes. I had him out there for about 10 minutes (I was out there monitoring him too), and as soon as he got back in, I thought he was just doing the zoomies. But he was doing this and drooling/foaming at the mouth. I quickly googled to see what could cause this and I'm betting my money he maybe ate a bug or maybe licked a cigar ash on the ground? I occasionally smoke cigars out there but haven't in a while.

Anyways, he was foaming, running around for a couple minutes, and now it has subsided. I'm keeping a watchful eye on him for a couple of hours, but I am about to go play a round of golf and will be gone for 5ish hours.

I'm a little on edge, but everything I have been googling seems like he just got into something and make him nauseous for a few minutes. No sporadic loss of movement or anything so I'm not leaning toward a seizure.

I guess I'm just looking for some comfort/solace that he will be fine. I'd hate to leave and him have another episode, but he seems completely normal now. Just hanging out chillaxing in his favorite box. Not falling asleep, but just kinda hanging out there. I think i even heard a few purrs out of him when i listen closely.

I'm putting on some calming music for him (and myself lol). But just curious on what you think he might of got into.

I do know that there was a wasp that landed on the patio right next to the sliding door, and as soon as i saw it i made him scurry inside. he got really close to it and the wasp flew away. I dont think he got stung...i dont see him licking anything excessive but im wondering if maybe they give off a scent too?

Not sure, any thoughts? Hopefully I'm just overly cautious.

Thanks,

Pop
Probably ate something

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any things like ant bait traps for ants for roaches, any of that sort of thing? If so put them where he can't get to them. This is dangerous for cats.