Cat foaming at mouth

nova1218

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out how I post my own. I'm new in here. Tonight I almost killed my Persian cat, I followed my vets advice gave my Persian benadryl. He started foaming of his mouth with never ending bubbles coming out! It was very scary to watch him go through that. He's my baby, I'm really upset. He is alright now. I helped him all the way through until he calmed down. I can't Sleep I am keeping a very close eye on him.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out how I post my own. I'm new in here. Tonight I almost killed my Persian cat, I followed my vets advice gave my Persian benadryl. He started foaming of his mouth with never ending bubbles coming out! It was very scary to watch him go through that. He's my baby, I'm really upset. He is alright now. I helped him all the way through until he calmed down. I can't Sleep I am keeping a very close eye on him.
Hi and welcome, Why did your vet want you to give benadryl?

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, don't panic. Many cats foam at the mouth if they taste something unpleasant or unusual. My Ellie does it every time I give her a pill. So if you are sure that what you have given is not poisonous, and has been prescribed by the vet, then just clean it up and relax. Of course, if you are not sure it is not toxic, then it is a different matter - get the cat to the vet asap.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A medication called Flagyl that is often given to kitties with digestive issues always causes this.   Flagyl is very bitter.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to give my cat benadryl for seasonal allergies. She foams at the mouth every time I give it to her. The vet showed my how to put the syringe way back in her mouth and do it fast. She still runs around the house foaming at the mouth but not as bad as the way I tried giving it to her for the first time.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
According to my vet they foam because the medication is bitter. Try using a small syringe with water to wash the medicine down or feed him something that he likes such as a small piece of chicken. It works for my cat