Cat Flu Flare Up - do I need to go to the vet?

TobyTims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Looking for some advice.

I adopted my cat Snowy (approx. 1 year old) about 6 months ago. I knew she had cat-flu previously when I adopted her, and that cat-flu flare ups can happen.

Snowy is having a flare up for the first time this week. The poor girl, I think she got stressed after we went away for the weekend and left her with family for the first time.

In any event, I am not sure if I need to take her to the vet every time she has a flare up? She is eating well, and still running around and playing - but is definitely a bit more lethargic than usual (she is usually VERY hyperactive) and is doing quite big sneezes regularly, they almost sound a bit chesty. Her nose also seems a bit runny, she is licking it a lot, but her eye looks clear.

I'm happy to take her to the vet, but I don't want to cause even more stress unnecessarily, especially if they just tell me to take her back home and keep an eye on her - which I know can happen with mild flu.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thank you in advance :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start her on a supplement to build up her immunity system. I have noticed since mine have been on DMG (Walmart online) they have not had any flareups at all. Many say to start them on L-Lysine, (even vets) which wouldn't hurt, but there have been studies done to show it really doesn't do much. I have had mixed results using it, it works for one cat, but not the other. I wouldn't bring her to the vet since stress is a big factor, unless she gets worse, stops eating and starts hiding. Make sure she has lots of fresh water, and plenty of humidity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobyTims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for those helpful tips! I've never looked into cat supplements before, will definitely do some research (especially since I have another cat-flu cat at home, too!)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia, so DMG has really helped them not get sick. They have had no flareups of any kind in over 20 months.