Cat Fleas

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this evening a small little bug on my cat's fur and realized it was a flea (I can't believe I didn't notice until now, I don't know how I didn't). I've kicked him out of my room (I hate how harsh that sounds) and I'm going to a 24/7 vet tomorrow to get him treated. However, when he was in my room he only lay on my black blanket on top of my bed and quilt. I already had to wash my sheets for the weekly cleaning, but should I wash my quilt and mattress cover? My blanket is currently getting washed and I'm gonna re-wash my sheets just to be safe. I'm a little frustrated that, one the shelter I adopted him from didn't notice anything and two that I didn't give the go-ahead and yes on the flea treatment when I took him to the vet Thursday for booster shots, I just thought he was good and fine. He does have a flea collar which is the same type my parents use for their cat.

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would wash everything to be sure. If you have carpet that he’s been on I’d get something to clean that as well. I had a cat that ended up with fleas once about 8 years ago and we had carpet, at the time I didn’t think about the fleas being able to go in the carpet and lay eggs which caused an almost endless cycle until I realized that’s how they kept coming back.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where there is one flea, there are most certainly more. Since you don't really know when he 'acquired' fleas, you would do yourself a favor and wash the quilt and mattress cover, AND other washable items throughout the house, as well vacuum all the rooms. Non-washable items can be placed in the dryer on the hottest setting for about 60 minutes or so. It doesn't matter if he has not been in other rooms, as you could have transported fleas/larvae/eggs to another room yourself. It is best to help nip this in bud by taking all the precautions you can now.

As a matter of fact, repeat all of the above steps a few times after he gets treated. And, then keep an eye out for signs of fleas - anywhere/everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm gonna use them for sure. I just vacuumed my entire apartment. I got some flea spray and shampoo my sister recommended. The spray will be for my couch where he really likes to hang out and I think I'll spray my carpet too (he is not allowed in my room until flea has passed) and I'll wash my sheets and stuff again. I just feel like if he had them before he neutered (which is right when I adopted him, the day before he got neutered), the shelter should've noticed and I'm stunned when he got surgery or his boosters the vet didn't notice. I feel awful about not saying yes to the flea treatment his vet offered but until yesterday I hadn't noticed anything. I can't I noticed bites or anything because I'm incredibly prone to mosquito and other bug bites. I just want to get this resolved for him so he can feel better

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm gonna use them for sure. I just vacuumed my entire apartment. I got some flea spray and shampoo my sister recommended. The spray will be for my couch where he really likes to hang out and I think I'll spray my carpet too (he is not allowed in my room until flea has passed) and I'll wash my sheets and stuff again. I just feel like if he had them before he neutered (which is right when I adopted him, the day before he got neutered), the shelter should've noticed and I'm stunned when he got surgery or his boosters the vet didn't notice. I feel awful about not saying yes to the flea treatment his vet offered but until yesterday I hadn't noticed anything. I can't I noticed bites or anything because I'm incredibly prone to mosquito and other bug bites. I just want to get this resolved for him so he can feel better
I hope he feels better soon and that after treatment & everything being washed he won’t have to worry about being itchy again! (And that you won’t have to worry about it either!)

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope he feels better soon and that after treatment & everything being washed he won’t have to worry about being itchy again! (And that you won’t have to worry about it either!)
The vet gave us a pill that will kill them in 24 hours, I gave it to him in a pill pocket when we got home and then immediately gave him a nice hot bath with the flea shampoo (which he was less than pleased about). I'm re-washing my sheets and stuff, I put my stuffed animals and pillows in the dryer on high heat and right now I'm taking care of the towels I used to wash him and he sat on in his crate. I also sprayed down my mattress after vacuuming it and I'm preparing to washing my sheets, quilt, blanket, and mattress cover again. I also washed off his brush with the flea shampoo to be safe. My apartments been vacuumed and I sprayed with the flea stuff. I'd like to think everythings on track. Again thank you for everything guys! You and my sister have really helped!

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet gave us a pill that will kill them in 24 hours, I gave it to him in a pill pocket when we got home and then immediately gave him a nice hot bath with the flea shampoo (which he was less than pleased about). I'm re-washing my sheets and stuff, I put my stuffed animals and pillows in the dryer on high heat and right now I'm taking care of the towels I used to wash him and he sat on in his crate. I also sprayed down my mattress after vacuuming it and I'm preparing to washing my sheets, quilt, blanket, and mattress cover again. I also washed off his brush with the flea shampoo to be safe. My apartments been vacuumed and I sprayed with the flea stuff. I'd like to think everythings on track. Again thank you for everything guys! You and my sister have really helped!
Great news! That ought to get rid of those nasty fleas for good!
And so funny about the flea baths, my cat used to yell at me during them (probably cursing at me in cat tongue lol).
I’d still keep an eye out for a few weeks just to make sure, those critter love hiding eggs where you least expect it. But it looks like you’ve got it all covered!

nicolew1438

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news! That ought to get rid of those nasty fleas for good!
And so funny about the flea baths, my cat used to yell at me during them (probably cursing at me in cat tongue lol).
I’d still keep an eye out for a few weeks just to make sure, those critter love hiding eggs where you least expect it. But it looks like you’ve got it all covered!
I plan on doing what my sister does for her cat and giving him a flea bath twice a month to be safe.