Cat flaps should be banned!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it was perfectly normal wet autumn day when I thought that I need a cat flap to my door so kitties can get warm space to melt their toes once and a while.

Month did go by and new cat flaps arrive in mail, week later they were installed while cats stared in horror, expressions stated something like "there are again those horrible changes being made to our territory".

It took 30 minutes from the cats to find out comfy bed and settle there as a breathing large furball which never leaves the bed except for 5 minutes pooping run, also I get lots of bad looks when attempting to squeeze in to my bed for a short nap, see:

Even worse is that one day I saw a mole or some other critter outdoors, I grab one of the best hunters and put him next to tracks on snow, point him direction where critter did go and nothing, all I get is look which says "are you serious?" and cat runs very quickly back indoors and from bed I found him afterwards, like this "what!? no work, siesta":

And some have nerve to claim cat is a threat to wildlife, certainly not if you make that mistake and install a cat flap!

All that makes it clear that cat flaps should be banned for good, instead of running around on yard my cats keep sleeping on bed, they have been completely spoiled now and I think inventor of cat flap should be sued as now I have to whimper in cold while trying to keep critters out of garden and structures!

Or perhaps if I would get new better cats, certainly they would stay outdoors and do their job, right? :D

Has anyone else made the same mistake, how much outdoor there is left in your cats?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Our girls are indoor only and I wouldn't want outdoor cats especially on a road where people drive so fast like ours.  But I've always worried about what they would bring in with them!  When I was in high school we would keep our garage door open just enough for the cats to go under to get in and out.  They mostly stuck to our yard but there was a field behind the house too.  One morning before school I went to let the cats in and when I opened the door both cats where sitting there with a baby snake between them!  They looked so proud.  It was on it's back but still alive and moving.  My mother got the job of removing the snake and setting it free in the field.  

Glory; my soul kitty, used to dash from the garage to my bedroom all the time.  That was her routine.  I'm SO SO glad she didn't dash across the house and release that snake (baby or not!) in my bed or bedroom!!  

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And some have nerve to claim cat is a threat to wildlife, certainly not if you make that mistake and install a cat flap!
Luckily, my cat still is a threat to the wild rats in the neighborhood - maybe because I don't have a flap.

Funny story. Nice cats you have. Unless I am mistaken, the first one is the master of your house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily, my cat still is a threat to the wild rats in the neighborhood - maybe because I don't have a flap.

Funny story. Nice cats you have. Unless I am mistaken, the first one is the master of your house.
She is smallest in physical size, so she has to make that up with her mental size :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that cat flaps can be also a good thing, just moment ago one of mine came in, with a weird scraping noise, which was bit odd, he then came to greet me and I just noticed tiny bit of snow on his back, when I did give him some petting to underside I noticed that there was thicker than inch layer of snow that had packed into his fur, it was not easy to get rid of all that snow, poor thing is now bit cold and wet, but resting and slowly drying in very warm spot.

I have no idea what he has been doing to get so much snow to clump his underside fur, but without cat flap he would of been very cold for very long. I weighted water melt from snow clumps I took off and it was more than a pound of water, I have never seen a cat that has had so much snow clumped to fur, I should of taken picture, but I was rather busy trying to get snow off before poor thing turns blue.