Cat fixed anal glands herself?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little girl, Meep, was doing the scoot for a couple days. Have a vet appointment scheduled in a few days, but this morning I found a dark spot on the bed and it didn't smell very nice. She quit scooting. Can cats sometimes take care of that themselves? With all the cats we've had over the years, I never had a problem with cat anal glands.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think it is possible that she could 'fix it' herself. Normally, defecation with well formed stools is what helps to naturally express a cat's anal glands. A couple of days of softer than usual poops could have left 'stuff' behind in the glands. Also, cleaning/grooming plays a role as well.

Feeby (16+ yo) had never had an issue with anal glands until early last year. She did the scoot thing, but the vet still found some 'junk' in her glands that he expressed for her - on two different occasions. Not sure why it happened then, but she was also being a bit lax in her grooming at that point in time. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened since. Hope that is the case with your girl as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they did raid the fridge several nights ago and ate bread and a whole package of smoked kielbasa. I had been watching mostly for vomiting, but all that grease could have given them diarrhea. Didn't see anything suspicious in the cat boxes, though.

Meep (2 yrears old) is usually quite good a cleaning, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they did raid the fridge several nights ago and ate bread and a whole package of smoked kielbasa.
Uhmmm...WHO exactly started the 'raiding'??? You have cats that can open the fridge door and help themselves to what sounds like someone making a sandwich??? :wink: Just keep an eye out on her for more 'bouts' of butt scooting. And, put a lock on the fridge door so that can't 'raid' it anymore. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the sandwich remark in the "What are your cats doing now" thread was supposed to be humorous. They're known bread-stealers (and probably all kielbasa-stealers, too). In retrospect, it is possible that I could have left the door ajar after a midnight snack run that night, but I should have heard the door fall open and hit the wall if were left ajar, as my house is 85 years old and the kitchen floor isn't quite level any more. This is the first instance of them getting in the refrigerator, although they have gotten into the overhead cabinets a couple of times. I might try some duct tape as a temporary measure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I have a door-opener at my house, too! Makes for interesting times.

Sounds like she at least got the pressure off, but I'd keep that appointment and have the doctor make sure she managed to totally evacuate those glands. Kinda like a boil that comes to a head, breaks, but doesn't drain completely, then quickly refills.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 about the vet visit. When I said I think cats can fix an anal gland issue on their own, I meant that it could be a 'one time' thing for Meep. However, as you will note when I first replied, I still took Feeby in for expression - twice, but was glad nothing ever came of it again (so far - always have to add that caveat).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, and your vet can teach you how to express the glands yourself. It isn't a hard job. THAT SAID, it is also a very unpleasant job, and BUY GLOVES if you decide to tackle future (should there be any) bouts yourself!