Cat Fights

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 20 year old female and a 5 year old male. 20 year old is in great shape except deaf. She has never liked other animals. Two or three times a day (usually late afternoon or later) they meet in the hallway that leads to bedrooms (20 year old spends a lot of time on one of the beds) and the 20 year old screams and hisses and bats at George. George stands his grpund but just stares back. Neither has claws so the worst that happens is a little boxing. How do we stop this? We yell at George but it does no good. Should we ignore?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say but I doubt you will be able to stop it. All the 20 year old can do probably is scream and as long as he doesn’t tackle her or block her getting to her food or litterbox I would just let it be. But for a cat her age I would make sure she has everything she needs, food, litter box, water in or near her favorite room, in her case the bedroom.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they aren't actually fighting I think Pali is getting a little dementia as most older cats do. She most likely isn't feeling the greatest, is tired, and just wants to be left alone. She is deaf so doesn't realize how loud she is. Just make sure she has a comfy box, or some hidey-hole she can go into to get away from George, who is being a pain like most males are to females. You might distract HIM from bothering her with a toy, a kickeroo, or food to distract him away from her. She is equal to a hundred-year-old human and is just wanting peace and quiet time. Make sure she isn't experiencing pain (from arthritis, etc.) by observing her, cats are wonderful at hiding things like this. If she is still eating, drinking, and using the litterbox, she is most likely just cranky, you might research some pain, senior cat supplements, and see if that helps her mood a little. She is wonderfully old! Good care and love are evident here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of the dueling duo after a fight. Once on the bed they are fine. Pali is the calico. She is amazing, no accidents, eats well. We have put some things in place to help her get up on beds, etc. She appeared as a kitten in the summer of 2001 and we took her in.

20210421_110241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Such pretty kitties! I suspect that George is somehow annoying Pali, and she is letting him know. As mentioned above, distracting George with a kickeroo toy might be the best bet. This might be easier than you think since there seems to be a bit of a pattern as to when these incidents happen. Could be by that time of day George is getting bored or in the mood to play, and Pali wants no part of it. You could try to head it off with a good play session with George. If Pali is already swiping George by the time you catch it, don't use treats to distract him in case it is him bugging her, as that would be like 'rewarding' him for it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This falls under the heading of "grumpy old lady who says whatever she wants and occasionally swings her handbag at you." It is probably far more distressing for you than it is for either of them, in the long run. Other than that take on what is going on, everything than susanm9006 susanm9006 said.

Mjhend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pali is now 21 and has gotten a second wind. She is running, leaping on to furniture, eating well and still fighting with George on occasion. We don’t get it but we will take it!