Cat fights off coyotes -- and wins??

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran across this, and I hope the coyotes ran off and left the brave kitty alone.

I couldn't get the sound to work; I suspect the cat's owners will probably have more of the story. Maybe someone can listen and advise? The ads are a pain, but this video is worth it.

You could see the cat stand its ground and make the coyotes back off. (A cat will usually back off if its prey fights back.) Though they kept coming back. Hope the cat's immediate ending was a happy one.

House cat bravely lunges at pack of coyotes ready to pounce

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is really personal for me. I've lost lots of cats from coyotes. I suspect most didn't even try to put up a fight, or they were pounced on from behind. Also, local "next door" footage has had some massacres, in black and white.

So, cats stay inside.

Canids are everywhere.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max was lucky.

The coyotes were mainly doing a frontal attack. Max had an advantage of his back being more or less to a wall and a chair blocking the left advance. Had they circled him I think the results would have been different.

A Year ago last sept a large coyote was in my fenced yard and not 20 feet from greg. Arnold was only a few feet behind greg. The coyote was advancing on the boys. Had I not looked out the window at that moment, im sure one cat would be gone.

Now I sit with the boys in the yard.

20190425_180948-1-1.jpg

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two cats that we have run into dogs, coyotes, and foxes outside. With Dogs and Coyotes they head up into the nearest tree. With foxes, they just sit there and don't seem to care.
Gibs is different though. He's never seen a coyote. But when they howl at night he gets very anxious, almost like he's afraid...It's one of the very few things that makes him anxious. Dogs can bark and he acts as if he doesn't hear it at all.
A coyote will never corner him which is good because he'd sure make a mess of one. But that's not normal coyote behavior. Coyotes bring buddies and that's their advantage

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad we don't have predators like that here in Australia although we have foxes.
One of my Bengals had a pure hate for foxes and would attack them on sight..even as a kitten and one was outside you would hear his teeth hitting the window glass as he was trying to get at the fox.he was a crazy cat that one.
We have foxes , and it killed my poor chicken Bif!
Who we fed in our house and sat on your shoulder , he was so lovely
Rip bif..

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two cats that we have run into dogs, coyotes, and foxes outside. With Dogs and Coyotes they head up into the nearest tree. With foxes, they just sit there and don't seem to care.
Gibs is different though. He's never seen a coyote. But when they howl at night he gets very anxious, almost like he's afraid...It's one of the very few things that makes him anxious. Dogs can bark and he acts as if he doesn't hear it at all.
A coyote will never corner him which is good because he'd sure make a mess of one. But that's not normal coyote behavior. Coyotes bring buddies and that's their advantage
I would put my money on Gibs.

You are right. I have heard that a coyote will lead an animal away from its home with other coyotes waiting to ambush.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom showed this to me. If I remember correctly, the owner said the cat will now be fully indoors.

My friend's dog broke his leg after a brief encounter with a coyote.

I don't let any of my animals out unless I am right by their side. So much can go wrong.

We don't have coyotes in this part of the city but skunks and raccoons, definitely.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was going to have a heart attack just watching this video. That cat was lucky. I hope the owners keep it indoors or otherwise somebody has got to supervise while outside. It makes me so sad just thinking of the many cats that were lost from coyote or wild animal attacks. But again, coyotes are also just trying to survive out there. :(

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Max was lucky.

The coyotes were mainly doing a frontal attack. Max had an advantage of his back being more or less to a wall and a chair blocking the left advance. Had they circled him I think the results would have been different.

A Year ago last sept a large coyote was in my fenced yard and not 20 feet from greg. Arnold was only a few feet behind greg. The coyote was advancing on the boys. Had I not looked out the window at that moment, im sure one cat would be gone.

Now I sit with the boys in the yard.

View attachment 317924
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching this. The cat seem to knows this too and, was careful to keep it that way. The coyote on the far right kept trying to get in behind him. It seem the coyote on the left was trying to draw him out so the other one could get behind him. I think eventually they would have got the cat had the owners not come out.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's funny, Manny rarely reacts to TV or video's. I've played video's of cats meowing and making typical cat noises but, this video, he reacts immediately. Like he knows there's a cat in distress. He immediately jumped up on the desk, which he never does and, had a look of concern on his face.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry about my outdoor stray/feral crew every night. We haven't had a lot of coyotes but they are there. One night few weeks ago I saw two out front. I chased them away, but kept an eye out. Sure enough they came back and I saw one jump the fence and come in the front yard. I hit the lights and started out the door. He was gone quickly when the lights came on. Right after that I had motion sensor lights installed. I also hang some dirty laundry at a few places around the perimeter to give them some caution. Still I haven't slept well since i this happened.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do Coyotes bother humans??
Not often, no. There have been cases of a pack of Coyotes attacking a Human, just like you'll occasionally hear about Mountain Lions attacking people, but normally they only attack if rabid or cornered/threatened.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was going to have a heart attack just watching this video. That cat was lucky. I hope the owners keep it indoors or otherwise somebody has got to supervise while outside. It makes me so sad just thinking of the many cats that were lost from coyote or wild animal attacks. But again, coyotes are also just trying to survive out there. :(

Total Agreement! If you know that there are coyotes around, keep your cat and small dogs indoors.