Cat fic again

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I looked at the reports you provided. I am not a vet, but here is my layperson's assessment. The urine PH is good, right where it should be. The USG is also good, meaning that her urine has normal concentration. I see she shows bacteria in her urine, but there is no urine culture identifying what bacteria was found. All it said is 'bacilii' which is not definitive of any type, as far as I know.

What I saw as standing out the most is the protein in her urine. Did the vet explain why this could be, or if they think it is strictly due to inflammation related to FIC? And if so, why? Whatever the vet says, given the rest of her results, press them to explain what all the possibilities are, and other potential ways to treat it. IMO, I don't see urinary care food as being the answer, tbh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it did clear after a week. But I did the retest at my usual vet because the vet I went to was a little far and I had to get rides for it. They said something that the protien high was because of uti so it disappeared after her antibiotics. But I wish I knew the cause and treatments.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, that is good to know, and glad to know the antibiotics cleared it. But urinary tract food is not going to prevent urinary issues, especially when the diagnosis is FIC. The 'I' means idiopathic - as in unknown cause. There are no absolute treatments, and likely no simplistic solutions. I think you have been provided articles on FIC, among other suggestions, so then you know it is much more complicated than just giving your cat a specific type of food.

I do think supplements to help with her overall urinary care are worth considering/continuing, and most of them have to be given ongoingly as they have cumulative effects - not instantaneous ones. But you have to consider all the other aspects of what can be behind FIC and work toward trying to tamp down those issues. If you can't find balance, you may need to talk to the vet about calming meds.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will only eat her prescription food by hand. I may just do that twice a day and let her have can food with d mannose. I'm hoping she will not get another episode if I do it like this

YULGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has feline idiopathic cystitis.
What should I do to prevent this. 3rd time this year. My vet suggests the cat food , but she lacks drinking water and stubborn.

Do I need to buy prescription food after all ? ☹ . How can I encourage water intake? She hates fountain and adding water to her wet food she just ends up licking it. I tried broth and she is displeased.

I hate this and I'm frustrated 😭
Are there budget friendly cat food for uti prevention?
My cat has FIC as well (1st time) my vet suggested Purina hydra care. He loves it! As does my other cat. And yes I would go on special food.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has it again. Does the prescription suppose to prevent utis and crystals? Why isn't it working? I'm frustrated this happen 3 times last year. Her last episode was November.

How can I prevent this permanently.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to read this so late, I missed your thread in November.

The cat in my avatar was prone to FIC, Idiopathic Cystitis.
In her last few years of her life she would have two episodes a year, one in late January or early February, the second one was usually between October and November.

She would start with pacing the house as she was looking for something, then she would visit the box dozens times in a row, and would produce very small clumps, or even nothing, but she would leave drops of pinkish urine on the floor.

I would treat her for the cystitis everytime. She was a renal cat, so I couldn't change her diet, and she was on daily sub-Q's, so the water intake and hydration weren't an issue.

I think I fixed the problem once for all using a supplement that I found on the web called Cystophan, from Therapet.
I live in Italy, so I don't know whether the same product can be found elsewhere, but it worked fine for my Lola, though she only benefit from this a little less than two years, because she went to the Bridge 6 years ago.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She stopped straining, I did saw plenty of stools so I wonder if it was a stool problem instead.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No infection it seems. But digestive issues probably cause of her prescription food 😭
She is 16 after all