Cat farts when you pet him!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! You read that right. Elliot farts when I pet him. No joke!

He’s always been a farty cat. Elliot eats the same things Casper eats so it’s less likely to be a diet problem. Every cat is different. Food that one cat can eat okay might give another cat the farts. I guess Elliot’s a little gas bag. Eh? ;)

Anyhow, I noticed that he only seemed to do it at certain times. Then one time, when I was petting him, I noticed him letting one go.

Elliot's a very needy cat. He follows us around the house, meowing. Whenever there's an empty lap, Elliot will be along in just a second. When I go to bed, he sleeps on me. Right on my chest with his butt in my face.

He also has a certain way he wants to be petted. You scratch him on the shoulders, down the spine to his tail. You scritch your fingers as you go. He really digs his back into your hand when you do that. He pushes his bum up in the air and his tail curls straight up. He stretches out his front feet and goes, "Purr-meow."

I think I might know what's going on... That spot at the base of a cat's tail is a 'hot spot.' Isn't it?
So, when you scratch him like that he starts feeling frisky. Right?

About twenty minutes ago, Elliot hopped up on my lap for some attention, right on cue. I started petting him and said to Casper's Girl-Human, "I bet he's going to fart!" About one minute later...

Jeez, Louize! Why do cat farts have to smell so bad? Worse than dog farts, by far!

Anyhow, that's how he wants you to pet him. He leans into it when you do. He'll lay on the floor and roll side to side as you scritch your way down his back and ribs. And, then, he lets loose!

Do cats fart when they get frisky? Elliot has been neutered. He's a little over a year old and we got him back from the vet exactly two months, today.
I suppose he could still have some hormones floating around in his system, yet. It doesn't even, necessarily, mean that he's feeling frisky. Maybe he just digs it? It could go either way, I guess.

But, do cats really fart when you pet them? :dunno:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This thread reminds me of one time when my Ebony (Rainbow Bridge) and Tigger were in bed with me, Tigger let out a pretty big fart, leaped off the bed and tried to figure out what on earth just happened, then Ebony looked round like she was saying "Tigger, that fart came from YOU" :lol:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose he could still have some hormones floating around in his system, yet. It doesn't even, necessarily, mean that he's feeling frisky. Maybe he just digs it? It could go either way, I guess.
We all fart, Nicole's dog's farts could clear a room, ha!!! as could her
sons'😎

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had 2 cats that were toxic farters. Miss Monkey farted all her life but she ate too much human food. If I didn't watch my Mountain Dew she'd get into it. She went crazy for anything acidic when she was having an episode of an illness that was never diagnosed.

Luna was also a farter when she first came home. I think the issue with her was eating too fast. Now that she's slowed down the farting is very rare.

When each was the most relxed, purring, and happy - BAM they gas you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper's Girl-Human just told me that Elliot might be getting into Casper's food which has Miralax in it.

Miralax can have the side effect of causing gas. Casper doesn't get gas but he's also been taking Miralax for a while, now, so his digestion has probably adjusted to it where Elliot hasn't. That could be the reason why he's so gassy.

Still, he farts more when you pet him. Maybe it's because he feels relaxed and happy when you pet him.

Why does he feel the need to stick his butt in your face when he does it? :barfgreen:

Cats... :rolleyes:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have shared a home on the regular with three cats now (consecutively, not at the same time.) I cannot remember any of them farting. Except when Krista was going through her senior struggles of IBD, a clostridium infection (liquid poos for a month or two), and eventually lymphoma (more liquid poos.) She would have lots of stomach gurgling. Even then, if she was farting, it wasn't curling any nose hairs.

I used to be vegan. And when I was eating clean, I had stealth farts. They just didn't smell at all. Unless I ate soy. I have a mild soy intolerance. It doesn't cramp me up or anything. But the cat will know it when I ate too much soy. 🙊 Xanthan gum is an intolerance both me and Krista shared. It presents the same way. When I figured it out in her, I figured it out in myself too.

It may be nothing. It may indeed be Casper's Miralax. But it could also be an intolerance to something Elliot is eating. Have you ever mentioned it to your vet?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliot went to the vet when we took him in to get neutered and chipped. He got de-flead and all his shots.

He got an otherwise clean bill of health on his last visit.

We’re thinking it’s the Miralax but we’re not ruling out food intolerance. If the problem keeps up and we can’t pin it down to food or laxatives there will be another vet visit for Elliot.

Personally, it’s lactose that does me in. I had my appendix removed when I was a kid and I’ve had irritable bowel ever since.

Casper has digestive issues that require Miralax. I’ve got IBS and, now Elliot gets to join the club, I guess…. ;)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting the outlines of a great comedy bit.

You: Pull my finger!

Victim: What are you a child?

You: Ok, ok. Pet Casper vigorously.

It might need a little more, but the foundation is there.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a 'lost episode' of Seinfeld?

Picture George and Frank Costanza arguing with George's mom... "I'm tellin' ya', George! That cat FAHTS when you pet it!"